Sheeshimodo

Default WWI Uniform - Need help identifying please

Hello, I am a Canadian researching my extensive British family tree. I have made a lot of headway but have been stymied be recurring photos of a uniformed “mystery man” circa WW1. I think he is a great uncle, and may have had the last name of Pledger or Cornish and hailed from Waltham Abbey/Waltham Cross or Enfield in Middlesex. But to get further along in the identification process, I’m hoping some members from this wonderful forum may be able to identify the military insignia on the uniforms this man is pictured wearing in the photos I’ve attached. In one of the photos he has a different cap badge, yet I think it is the same fellow. In the group photos, the man in question is the fellow standing on our left. Thanks very much for any information you may offer.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

The cap badge on the 2nd and 3rd photographs looks like the Machine Gun Corps.

Sheeshimodo

Thank you very much for you response Crimea1854, I will look into that. I was alwo wondering about the kilt in the first picture. Does anyone have any tips of what unit that might be a dress uniform for. My other relatives that I have identified were in the Middlesex regiment and the Wiltshire regiment.

Famous for offering help & advice

The cap badge in the last photo looks suspiciously (I can't magnify it clearly) like that of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).
    The wearing of the kilt in the first photo indicates a Scottish regiment.

You didn't need to be Scots to serve in a Scottish regiment. Indeed, after the decimation of whole villages (due to all the men serving in the same regiment), many men were compulsorily transferred to other "area" regiments.

Jane

Sheeshimodo

Thanks Fullscot. I realize the scans are not very clear. I did manage to magnify it my end and I think I've now identified the cap badge in the last photo as the Kings Royal Rifle Corp. I know this particular photo to be pre-August 1915, as one of the men in the photo died at Galipoli. I'll keep searching to see if I can identify this mystery man.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

As an outside chance, seeing as most of these man were in Regiments way south of the border, the 14th London Regiment, The London Scottish, for your Kilted man.

Keith

Sheeshimodo

Thank you Keith for the tip.