VMACAULAY

Post What next? Macaulays from NY & Scotland

I have worked very hard trying to trace a member of our family and am still coming up empty handed. My ancester, Andrew C. Macaulay, was born in Scotland in 1839. His parents were Marg Elliot and Samuel Macaulay. Andrew moved to New York at some point. We believe that he immigrated during the 1860s, however, I've not been able to locate any immigration records to confirm this. Andrew can be found in Census records, living in New York, starting 1880. Andrew married Johanna Magdalena Elizabeth Dohrmann (Ordemann) in New York in 1882. Even though I have Andrew's information and his parents' names, I cannot locate his parents or any immigration information at all. Andrew's mother was a witness at his wedding in NY, so we know that she lived in the U.S. at some point as well. I've located Andrew's burial information and found a family plot in New Jersey, however, his mother is not buried there with him. Andrew died 30 Jul 1909 in New Jersey and is buried in Hoboken Cemetery in North Bergen, NJ. I cannot seem to locate an obituary either. I've tried searching the online database for Castle Garden, since Andrew immigrated before Ellis Island was in operation, and got no results.

Although I have no experience with with international research, I have tried to search Scottish records online and have found nothing. I figured that I might be able to locate Andrew in Scotland with his parents. I could be going about that research all wrong, for all I know.

I'm struggling now with where to go from here. Does anyone have any advice on where to look next? I'm frustrated and really don't want to give up. I feel like I might not have a choice, unless I can think of a next step.

Thanks in advance!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by VMACAULAY View Post
    My ancester, Andrew C. Macaulay, was born in Scotland in 1839. His parents were Marg Elliot and Samuel Macaulay. ...

I figured that I might be able to locate Andrew in Scotland with his parents.
    Right now, I can't see a candidate in the census either. The closest I've come to finding anything are some baptisms on Family Search for children of Samuel McCULLY and Margarett ELLIOTT in Glasserton, in Wigtownshire in Scotland.

The surname McCULLY is not quite right, but it's close. However, the problem with this family is that they do not appear to have baptised a child called Andrew. The family are in the 1841 and 1851 census in Scotland. One of their children was called Candlish who was born abt. 1839 became a mason and he appears up to 1861 census in Scotland but I can't find him after that. What was your Andrew's middle name - any idea?

Edit: I see that you have a previous thread on Andrew Macaulay here. I will need to check this thread later to see if it is a duplicate.

birdlip

This couple also baptised an earlier child at Kirkinner, Wigtown;

Samuel MCCALLY 04 Mar 1826 (Samuel MCCALLY and Mary Elliott)

McCully is close, as Olliecat says; McCally is getting closer and its obviously the same couple.

VMACAULAY

Thank you for your response! Good call on McCully. All of the records that I have found for Andrew so far do not display his entire middle name, however, this gives me a reason to dig a bit futher on that. I wasn't able to locate the Scotland census for 1841 and 1851 that you referred to. May I ask how you searched and found these records? I did find a Candlish McCullie in Scotland in 1861 that was a mason. The fact that he disappears after 1861 lines up with the family rumor that he immigrated sometime in the 1860s. I've very new to searching for international records, so please forgive my ignorance. I greatly appreciate your help!

VMACAULAY

Thanks for looking this up for me! This is all very interesting. I wasn't sure if I trust results that weren't somewhat obvious but it makes sense that the last name varied this much in official records. If Andrew and Candlish are the same person, then it's also clear why I was unable to find him during my searches for Andrew Macaulay. Thank you again for your help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by VMACAULAY View Post
    I wasn't able to locate the Scotland census for 1841 and 1851 that you referred to. May I ask how you searched and found these records? I did find a Candlish McCullie in Scotland in 1861 that was a mason.
    Hmm! I can't remember how I found them - I hadn't long woken up. They just popped up in 1841 but then it took me ages to find them in 1851 and I think I ended up searching by first name only and county. Rather than tell you how I searched it will be easier for me to post the census data. I'm sure you will be able to find them for yourself then. Please bear in mind that I can't view the original images.

1841: Piece: 885 Book/Folio: 2 Page: 10
    Slate Heugh Or Part Of Carleton, Glasserton, Wigtownshire, Scotland
    McCOLLIE, Samuel 45, Ireland
    McCOLLIE, Margaret 39, Ireland
    McCOLLIE, John 20, Ireland
    McCOLLIE, Jannet 12, Wigtownshire
    McCOLLIE, David 8, Wigtownshire
    McCOLLIE, George 6, Wigtownshire
    McCOLLIE, Candlish 3, Wigtownshire

1851: Piece: 900 Folio: 51 Page: 6
    Main Street, Whithorn, Wigtownshire
    MCCAULIE, Margaret, head, widow, 48, ag lab, Ireland
    KELLEY, Candlish, son, 12, Glasserton, Wigtown
    KELLY, Margart, dau, 8, Glasserton, Wigtown
    Note: I don't know where the surname KELLY has appeared from. You would have to view the original image.

I still haven't had a chance to read through your previous thread, but I think Andrew stated that both his parents were born in Scotland (this was on one USA census). Unfortunately, both the parents of Candlish were born in Ireland, so perhaps his potential as a candidate for your Andrew has diminished somewhat.

VMACAULAY

Thanks for posting the details. Yes, Andrew did indicate on census records that his parents were born in Scotland. While this might be a sign that this is not the correct family, I think that it's still worth looking into a bit further. I think my next step it to see if I can find Andrew's middle name or not. I think that the other details match up so well that it could still be my Andrew. I really appreciate you taking the time to help!