Colin Rowledge

Default John Eustice Ball - to the U.S.A. in 1907

The chap named above is my Great-Grandfather. He was born in Phillack, Cornwall on March 13, 1860. The early years of his life were tough. His parents, by the time he was born, had already had 6 children. 2 had died very early in their lives [prior to his birth]. His mother died when he was 7 and his father died when he was 9. His eldest brother - George - married in 1864 and so he and his 2 surviving siblings were on their own at the time of the 1871 census. The brother that had married in 1864 had died by the end of 1871, his sister, with whom he was living in 1871 had died in 1880. I have not found a trace of the other brother after the 1871 census. His name was George Eustice Ball - born 1851.

John Eustice married in 1883 and he and his wife had 6 children - 3 sons and 3 daughters. In 1907, June 15, he left Cornwall at the age of 47 for a new life. With the exception of his youngest daughter - my grandmother - all the rest followed at various times between 1908 and 1916.

What a challenge at that time of life.

Now my research of the children that followed him to the U.S has been done and what an interesting life/lives they had.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

I will now detail what I have found so far on John Eustice Ball - after 1907 - and then the 'gaps' for which I'd appreciate help.

He arrived in New Tork on June 23, 1907 on board the St. Paul. He was 47 years old. For a man of his age and with his work experience and skills,he made his way to the mines in Montana. At this time, he was accompanied by his eldest son, James Henry. He worked hard, saved his money and supported his family by sending money back to Cornwall. He was there in Montana for the better part of 18 months and during this period of time in the U.S. felt that the country offered more opportunities for a better way of than could be achieved in Cornwall.
    He returned to England with aplan to bring as many of his family as possible. This started in May 1909 and on May 19, 1909 he arrived back in Plymouth. Less than 2 months later, on July 10, 1909, he left again and this time he came with his son-in-law John Lewis Samuel Merrifield - who had married Alice Maud Ball in 1908. After arrival in New York, John Eustice returned to the mines in Montana. At the time of the 1910 census he was residing with his sister-in-law and her husband [also a Miner] in Silver Bow, Montana. Prior to living with this couple and their children, he had lived with another son-in-law [also a Miner] named Arthur James Norman [who had married Hannah Maria in 1909].
    Once again he returned to England. He arrived back on July 31, 1910. He stayed in England for a while and at the time of the 1911 census, he was working as a Grocery Shopman in Gwithian. In the household was his wife Ellen, youngest son [John Redvers Denton] and married daughter [Hannah Maria] and a granddaughter [Ellen Jane Plevna Norman]. 2 other children - my grandmother [Gwendoline] and her brother [Harold Alexander Blain] were living and working away from home as Domestic Servants.
    Prior to the outbreak of W.W.1 he returned to the U.S. This return trip I have yet to find He returned to the mines and contined to support his family in England.
    Then a disaster happened and in 1914 on November 13, Arthur James Norman was killed in a mining accident. John Eustice wanted the remainder of his family to join him and after the youngest son son had finished school and was working, he sent money for all that wanted to join could do so. His wife, widowed daughter, 16 year old son and his grandchildren [from Hannah Maria] lefy England and arrived in the U.S. on August 21, 1916.
    The family resided in Silver Bow, but I have not found them in the 1920 census.
    John Eustice died in Portland Oregon on January 5, 1927 and Ellen [his wife] died in Portland Oregon on July 2, 1942.

So there are a few missing pieces in his life that I would like to address:
    1] When did he leave England for the last time?
    2] Where were the family in 1920?
    3] When did he and Ellen move to Portland and where was Ellen living in 1930 and 1940?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

1] When did he leave England for the last time?

Colin
    Have found the answer to the above. He arrived in New York on the 7 August 1915 with his son Harold Alexander Blain Ball.

1 down - 2 to go.

Colin