Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    julireed

Default Hammonds in Chichester - Can anyone help me?

Hello there,

I am hoping to pick infinitely more expert brains than mine regarding the mother of Charles Hammond born in Chichester in Abt 1823. I have his father as a George Hammond who was born in Chichester in 1800. I cannot however find a wife who was the mother of Charles. There is some suggestion of a later wife Mary with whom he had a daughter Mary but I have imported this info from elsewhere on ancestry so am not sure how reliable it is. I have tried OPC which has yielded other Hammond related information but unfortunately not on this issue. As this is a relatively recent branch of my tree and the last member of my beloved Hammonds died yesterday I am really keen to pursue this as I am deeply regretting not having asked my wonderful and well informed aunt before she became so unwell.

Nicolina

according to the 1851 Census for King Street, Arundel (HO107/1651/586 page 3)
    Charles HAMMOND b. abt. 1823 in Chichester occ: Coach Painter
    Mary Ann HAMMOND b. abt. 1824 in Leominster
    Charles E. HAMMOND b. abt. 1848 in Arundel
    William E. HAMMOND b. abt. 1849 in Arundel
    Mary Ann HAMMOND b. abt. 1850 in Arundel (aged 8 months)

Nicolina

given that the children were born in Arundel there is a possible marriage in the June qtr 1846 Worthing (this covers Arundel) Vol 7 Page 811.
    a possible spouse is Mary Ann TAPNER

Mutley

There is a Charles Hammond living in the High Street in South Bersted in 1841.
    Sadly he is a male servant and not living with parents so it is hard to know if he is your chap.
    Does say he was born in the county of Sussex.

1841: HO107/1099, Book 1, Folio 44, Page 7
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Mutley

Family Search has a
    Charles Hammond with a christening date of 21 Nov 1824 at South Bersted, Sussex.
    father's name is Hezekiah Hammond and mother's name is Jane

Edit: Not yours..... This Charles was buried 15 Jun 1825
    Last edited by Mutley; 31-05-2012 at 6:24 PM. Reason: Added more...

julireed

Thanks for looking but this is the info I already have. It is Charles' mother rather than spouse I am looking for. I know he married a Mary Ann Tapner. It is who his father George married or produced him with that eludes me.

Brick wall demolition expert!

When you say you have the info already are we to assume that you have Charles marriage cert confirming his father is in fact a George Hammond..what is Georges occupation on the marriage certificate..

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by julireed View Post
    Thanks for looking but this is the info I already have. It is Charles' mother rather than spouse I am looking for. I know he married a Mary Ann Tapner. It is who his father George married or produced him with that eludes me.
    But you did not tell us that he married Mary Ann Tapner. In order to try and help you we also need find the information to follow the family back in time. Otherwise we are just chucking any old stuff at you, that is not what we, on this forum, like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    When you say you have the info already are we to assume that you have Charles marriage cert confirming his father is in fact a George Hammond..what is Georges occupation on the marriage certificate..
    Hmmm! I'd like to know the answer to that too seeing as his marriage should have been after 1937.
    Not so many Charles Hammonds with a father George are around at that time and we need to find George before we can find his Mrs.

As you have realised julireed finding your family pre census is not easy.
    Slowly, slowly, step by step backwards, following procedure. Otherwise you end up with the same unreliable information posted elsewhere over the web.
    If you wish us to help you, then please tell us what information you already have, it might save everyone a bit of time.

Nicolina

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There is a Charles Hammond living in the High Street in South Bersted in 1841.
    Sadly he is a male servant and not living with parents so it is hard to know if he is your chap.
    Does say he was born in the county of Sussex.

1841: HO107/1099, Book 1, Folio 44, Page 7
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)
    I don't think this is the right one. Try the one living with Charles BRIGGS at North Street, Brighton (HO107 piece 1122 folio 11/17 page 26 ). His occupation is given as Painter.

The only George HAMMOND that I can find in Sussex, born about 1800, (on the 1841 Census) is a Male Servant living at Lavant Hall, Mid Lavant (HO107 piece 1104 folio 7/4 page 2). Unfortunately it says that he was not born in Sussex, so he could be from anywhere.
    I do however wonder how you came by his birth being about 1800. Do you have any evidence to support it?

Nicolina

In 1851 there is a George HAMMOND & family living at East Lavant Manor House (HO107 piece 1652 folio 449 page 7)
    George HAMMOND b. abt. 1801 in Sheerness, Kent occ: Groom
    Maria HAMMOND b. abt. 1809 in Eartham, Sussex
    George HAMMOND, b. abt. 1839 in East Lavant
    Maria HAMMOND, b. abt. 1841 in East Lavant
    Walter HAMMOND, b. abt. 1843 in East Lavant
    Sarah HAMMOND, b. abt. 1844 in East Lavant
    Ann HAMMOND, b. abt. 1845 in East Lavant
    Caroline HAMMOND, b. abt. 1848 in East Lavant

If Maria is Charles' mother then either she was a child bride or the age is wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast