Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    julireed

Firstly my apologies for the ambiguity in the information I was wanting and the insufficient information I provided to reach that. i had just had my aunt die in my arms so daresay I was not particularly forthcoming.

Here's what I know.

CHARLES Hammond is my Great x 3 grandfather. He was born in the Chichester area in 1823.

He marries a Mary Ann Tapner in A/M/J 1846.

His father is a Coach Painter called George who was already deceased in 1846. Born 1800

It is the wife of George hence mother of Charles that I have been unable to find.

I have tried the Online parish records but have not been able to find a marriage around 1820ish for George.

I would be extremely grateful if having hopefully clarified things, someone would be willing to look once again.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by julireed View Post
    He marries a Mary Ann Tapner in A/M/J 1846.

His father is a Coach Painter called George who was already deceased in 1846. Born 1800
    As has already been asked above:
    (a) Do you have the marriage certificate; if so, is that where it says Charles' father was a deceased coach painter?
    (b) How do you know that George was born in 1800?

I have tried the Online parish records but have not been able to find a marriage around 1820ish for George.
    How do you know when the marriage was? If Charles was the youngest of a large family, his parents could have married more than 20 years before he was born. Another possibility is that he was illegitimate, and that his parents married after he was born, or never married at all.

The most likely reason for you not finding a marriage may be that not all records are online. There is a Sussex Marriage Index, covering 'all known marriages' from 1538 to 1837. It is available on CD from the Sussex Family History Group (you can find them by googling) who also seem to offer look-ups (though this may be for members only). Though there are Chichester pages on the Sussex Online Parish Clerks site, it looks as if they may not have parish register data other than what's on the IGI. As you're not too far from Sussex, you could go down to the West Sussex Record Office in Chichester, or to the Suffolk FHG's family history centre in Lewes.

Of course, Charles' parents may not have married in Sussex, but as that's where he first appears (as far as you know) then that's where to begin your search.

Finally, I ought to warn you to be suspicious of dead fathers on marriage certificates. They are sometimes quite fictitional, invented by illegitimate children for respectability's sake.

Colin Rowledge

Firstly my apologies for the ambiguity in the information I was wanting and the insufficient information I provided to reach that. i had just had my aunt die in my arms so daresay I was not particularly forthcoming.
    May I offer my condolences on the loss of your Aunt. I know how difficult it can be to formulate thoughts in order to post threads at such a time.

Like you, I regret not asking my folks about things in their lives, but knowing that they are guiding my research into their lives is a reward in itself.

Take care
    Colin

Nicolina

another thing to consider,without proof of Charles' birth, is that there is no guarantee that the father's name, on a marriage certificate, is accurate.I have one where the father's christian name is correct but the surname isn't. Until I saw the Parish Register I'd no idea that it was wrong.

Mutley

I am also sorry to hear of the death of your aunt.

In order for us to help you, we really do need to know the sources for your information otherwise we are just throwing wild bits of information at you.

If you do not have the marriage certificate, I suggest that is your first step. If you do, what was the address of Charles?

You have been given several possible census, are any of them any good? Do you have Charles and /or George in 1841?

julireed

I have the marriage certificate for the marriage of Charles to Mary Ann Tapner which is where I gleaned the father as being George.

That is the only concrete information I have. I will dig out the marriage cert and supply any further info from it.

Many thanks

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have the marriage certificate for the marriage of Charles to Mary Ann Tapner which is where I gleaned the father as being George.

That is the only concrete information I have. I will dig out the marriage cert and supply any further info from it.

Many thanks
    Thanks for that Julireed helps to know we are on the right track when certificates supply relevant info..But as Nicolina points out it is still not always truthful..unfortunately I have marriage certs naming fathers that never exhisted but we have to start somewhere..

There is Chichester burials for 2 george Hammond's 10 May 1835 Chichester unfor no age noted
    and All Saints Chichester 29 March 1825 aged 25 so birth abt 1800, this would fit the time frame for a father for Charles..maybe the original entries contain more info eg occupations..

There is a marriage for a George Hammond-Rebecca Knight-09 Apr 1820 or 20 Apr 1820 Cuckfield,​ Sussex, Cuckfield abt 30 mls from Chichester

Baptism for a george Hammond JUne 1800 St Bartholomew Chichester parents Thomas and Mary no occupations...

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    There is a marriage for a George Hammond-Rebecca Knight-09 Apr 1820 or 20 Apr 1820 Cuckfield,​ Sussex, Cuckfield abt 30 mls from Chichester

Baptism for a george Hammond JUne 1800 St Bartholomew Chichester parents Thomas and Mary no occupations...
    This George and Rebecca appear on 1841 census but he is a famer

julireed

This is indeed my man. It is who his mother was that I'm desperate to find.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast