Thread: Opinion sort

Default Opinion sort

The Daily Advertiser (1754) "Last Wednesday Mr Naphtali Hart Myers, of New York Merchant, was married to Miss Hetty Moses, Daughter of Mr Simon Jacobus Moses, of Bury-Street, Merchant; a young Lady, with a genteel Fortune, and possess’d of every Qualification that can add Happiness to the Matrimonial State."

What, if anything, does "a young Lady" suggest about the age of Miss Hetty Moses, bearing in mind the date (1754)?

I would be interested in members' views on this. I will refrain from giving my opinion just yet in case it is seen as "leading the witness".
    thanks
    daryl

Thomasin

At a very rough guess, anything between 16 and 22. Any older and she would surely be just 'a Lady'! Or perhaps she was older and the writer is just paying her a compliment?

Coromandel

From her age when she died in 1812 (in her 83rd year) Hetty, or Hester, would have been born about 1730, making her about 24 at the time of her marriage. See Stephen Massil's articles from Jewish Historical Studies:

https://www.
    jhse.org/book/export/article/23436

and

https://www.
    jhse.org/book/export/article/22983

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    At a very rough guess, anything between 16 and 22. Any older and she would surely be just 'a Lady'! Or perhaps she was older and the writer is just paying her a compliment?
    My thoughts exactly (except I thought 21 rather than 22) - any older then "a Lady".
    Ties in nicely with

Parish registers for St. James’ Church, Westminster
    1770 May 21
    Hester Myers dr. of Simon Jacobus & Rebecca Oct. 2 1737
    Bilah Moses dr. of Simon Jacobus & Rebecca Janry. 1 1735

But not with an age of 82 at the time of death in 1812 .......

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by DBCoup View Post
    But not with an age of 82 at the time of death in 1812 .......
    A bit of guesswork here, I think. After all, what does six or seven years on the age of an old lady matter? Perhaps she was more than normally wrinkled.