Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Tracing a marriage in Alabama 1838-1840

On the off-chance that such a document still exists, what information is likely to be contained there-in? The couple appear to have been born not in Alabama.

He was born in Georgia and she in Tennessee. Records of births seem to have been destroyed during the Civil War.

If anyone feels that they can assist, please contact me either by private message or email and I'll provide details.

Colin

ChattieKathy

I can't specifically speak about Georgia and Tennessee, but there aren't many official birth records in the USA at that early date. Most states didn't require birth registration until much later (early 1900's). Some luck can be had with church records, but that is also pretty inconsistent. I'm in no way an expert on the American south, but in general...official documentation is hard to come by that early.

If I can help, you can message me...I will see what I can dig up!
    (Chattie)Kathy

bamagirl

Hi, Colin.

The trick with early records in Alabama is knowing which county or town - which can be a problem since the boundaries changed often.

Sending you a PM.
    Barb

Colin Rowledge

Thanks to both Kathy and Barb. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

I have now been given the 'green light' by the family to post details and accept whatever 'comes to light'.

Colin Rowledge

Part of what I am trying ro resolve could have been handled if the bulk of the 1890 cenus records were not destroyed in a fire in 1921.

I guess some silly b----r was smoking at the time - or can I blame it on 'the mob'?

Colin Rowledge

The name of the couple in question are David Terriall Ferguson and Elizabeth Jane Gillum. During their life together, they had 11 children, born between 1840 and 1861 - 7 sons and 4 daughters. All seemed to survive until adulthood and many lived into their 80's and older. There may be additional children that died in infancy or early childhood, but due to destruction of records during the Civil War [1861-65] finding details may be impossible

The births were as follows:
    2 daughters - born 1840 and 1844 - in Alabama
    3 sons - born 1845, 1847 and 1849 - Arkansas
    2 daughters and 3 sons - born 1853, 1854 [the daughters], 1855, 1858 and 1859 [the sons] - in Missouri
    1 son - born 1861 - in Arkansas.

The census records from 1850 onwards and up to 1870 are as follows:
    1850 - District 5, Barry, Missouri - David is age 34 and Elizabeth age 28. David's occupation is a Farmer and his state of birth is indicated as Connecticut. Elizabeth's state of birth is Tennessee.
    1860 - Kings River, Carroll County, Arkansas - David is age 44 and is still a Farmer and his state of birth is now Georgia. Elizabeth is age 37 and born Tennessee.
    1870 - same location as 1860 - David is age 54, same occupation and tate of birth. Elizabeth is age 48 and born Tennessee.

In late 1874 or early 1875, something happens to Elizabeth. Given the length of time she and David were married, I don't believe that they seperated, so the logical conclusion is that she died. I have yet to find confirmation of this. On April 16, 1875, David obtained a marriage licence and on April 18, 1875 he married Emily Russell. He was aged 59 and she was 40.

1880 census - Kings River, Carroll County, Arkansas. David is indicated as married, but Emily is not at the residence. The only child still at home is the daughter [born 1844]. David is still a Farmer age 64 and still born in Georgia

As I noted above, the 1890 census for Arkansas does not exist.

1900 census - Kings River, Carroll County, Arkansas. David is indicated as a Widower and age 83 and his birth month is December and year 1816. He is living with his married daughter [born 1854] and her husband to who she had been married for 25 years.

David dies late in 1907. His age is stated as 91. From the Arkansas Find A Grave Index the information stated that he was born December 5, 1816 and is buried in Grandview, Berryville, Carroll County, Arkansas. My feeling is that this information was obtained from his son-in-law, with whom he was living in 1900, but as the information for the 1900 census that was provided may not be 100%accurate I am still attempting to verify certain facts before posting that detail.

Colin

bamagirl

Hi, Colin.

Have you seen the image view of the 1850 census in Missouri? When I looked at it (can't remember now which site) his birth location looked like a couple of faint loops, one large and one small. Someone might have transcribed it as Co or even Cn, but it is equally "transcribable" as Ga or Ge, so I wouldn't worry about that anomaly too much.

I haven't heard back from that private source about the Alabama marriage records. I'll post here when I know more.

Regards,
    Barb

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by bamagirl View Post
    Hi, Colin.

Have you seen the image view of the 1850 census in Missouri? When I looked at it (can't remember now which site) his birth location looked like a couple of faint loops, one large and one small. Someone might have transcribed it as Co or even Cn, but it is equally "transcribable" as Ga or Ge, so I wouldn't worry about that anomaly too much.

I haven't heard back from that private source about the Alabama marriage records. I'll post here when I know more.

Regards,
    Barb
    Hi Barb.
    Both my cousin and I have looked at the image on Ancestry.com and we both think he was born in Georgia.

She believes the reason for the mattiage in Alabama was beccause Elizabeth was too young to be married without parental consent in her birth-state. What do you think?

Another possibility is that David was working in Tennessee, he managed to get her pregnant and they ran away to Alabama to marry as the law was different in that state at that time.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

The name of the couple in question are David Terriall Ferguson and Elizabeth Jane Gillum.

Colin
    Looking closer at the surname of Elizabeth Jane, the name - Gillum - could be a mis-transcription and given the way that name was written, the actual name probably is GILLIAM.

Does this help?

If so, I can post a little more detail that I have gleaned from a tree on A. which was compiled by a person who is a direct descendant of David Terriall and Elizabeth Jane and there would appear to be evidence of documentation to support these findings.

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast