Loves to help with queries

Default Irish sisters Ann and Johanna ?

I have a GGGM known before marrying as Ann Downes, from Ballyhay, Cork and a witness at her marriage ( and vice versa) in Southwark in 1836 was Johanna Downes.

Quite a lot hinges on whether or not I can say they are sisters. I really hope that I can. They are obviously pretty closely related ( each was witness at the others' marriage, and Johanna was godparent to Ann's second daughter, named Johanna by the way but known as Ann (!!) on the censuses and children's birth certificates and baptisms.

Are there any other examples out there of parents naming two daughters ANN and JOHANNA ?

I know it sounds odd but I am worried that , as here in England the name Johanna can be abbreviated to Ann, the father ( Thomas in Johanna's case - for sure) wouldn't have both.

Mutley

One of the pay per view sites has a facility to search for a person and name another person living in the same household.
    I searched for a Johanna Smith with an Ann in the same house. Most of those returned had Ann as the mother but I did find a couple with Johanna and Ann as sisters.

I wish it was possible to do the same for early 1800's families in County Cork.

From the point of view of Catholic Irish families, I'd welcome any views on the likelihood of parents naming two daughters Ann and Johanna

Jan1954

You may find this to be rather useful if you are tracing your County Cork ancestors.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi there

Having a sit down after some gardening I've had a quick look at some Johannas from Cork in the 1901 Irish census and on the second page there is this one

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...s_Lane/390968/

- so at least one family with an Annie and a Johanna.

I've now searched 1851 Surrey and Middlesex using FMP with the second person facility
    and there are loads of examples. daughters 1-10 yrs apart, both names. So reassuring