Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    wendyar

Question Poples of Lambeth, Surrey

I have a confusion of two generations of Poples whose baptisms and births range from 1781 in Hanover Square to Horace Pople 1835, probably born at Lambeth Marsh. My Great Grandmother Cordelia Pople was born on 16 May 1832 at the Corn Shapes, Lambeth Marsh; also her brother Frederick Pople at 3 Campolsen Newcat, Lambeth, Christened at Waterloo Church, Lambeth. I am also puzzled by six earlier Pople baptisms that I cannot locate in Othery Somerset between 1791 and 1800. Being in Australia and never had the opportunity to visit the areas, I am seeking info as to whether these streets and/or churchs still exist. wendyar. 23 May 2012

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you seen his site? There are at least 4 Pople people listed.

https://www.hue.org/Othery/

What about IGI familysearch?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

wendyar

To waitabit. I have just found four of the six Pople Baptisms at www.hue.org/Othery!! Thank you again. Christian Pople b.1800 who was the last on the list, married a David Morgan in 1833 at St Martins in the Fields, Westminster and they landed in SA. They both died in Wallaroo in SA. I have no dates for David but Christian died 29 May, 1877. I spent all day at PC searching for relevant newspaper notices and SA Death Indexes without success. I don't suppose you know if early SA death indexes are online anywhere?? I have been thoroughly spoiled by Vic BDM's over the years. NSW is pretty generous also! I have recently flushed out another Pople cousin in Chelsea UK who is also researching the same families so things are moving along nicely. wendyar.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by wendyar View Post
    I have a confusion of two generations of Poples whose baptisms and births range from 1781 in Hanover Square to Horace Pople 1835, probably born at Lambeth Marsh. My Great Grandmother Cordelia Pople was born on 16 May 1832 at the Corn Shapes, Lambeth Marsh; also her brother Frederick Pople at 3 Campolsen Newcat, Lambeth, Christened at Waterloo Church, Lambeth.
    Baptisms at St John the Evangelist, Lambeth (from London Parish Registers on Ancestry)

all shown as children of George and Esther Pople:

Frederick bapt. 11 Jan. 1829 (abode, Lower Marsh)
    Octavius bapt. 27 Sept. 1830 (abode, New Cut)
    Cordelia bapt. 11 May 1832 (abode, Lower Marsh)
    Florence bapt 17 Jan. 1836 (abode, New Cut)

The father's occupation is given as licensed victualler on the first three baptisms and wine merchant on the last.

St John the Evangelist Church was (and I think still is!) in Waterloo Road, so that would explain your reference to 'Waterloo Church'.

What you have as 'Newcat' is I presume New Cut (now just called The Cut, I think). If you google for "Lower Marsh" and "New Cut" you'll find various references, e.g. one from Vol. 23 of the 'Survey of London' on the British History Online site which says 'The New Cut was developed as a roadway continuing Lower Marsh east of Waterloo Road circa 1820.' I am not sure what to make of 'the Corn Shapes'. Perhaps this is a garbled version of the pub's name? 'Campolsen' is similarly mystifying. Again it may be a garbled version of something else.

I'll have a look at some directories etc. to see if there are any more clues as to exactly where the Poples lived.

Try here:

https://www.
    genealogysa.org.au/
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Baptisms at St John the Evangelist, Lambeth (from London Parish Registers on Ancestry)

all shown as children of George and Esther Pople:

Frederick bapt. 11 Jan. 1829 (abode, Lower Marsh)
    Octavius bapt. 27 Sept. 1830 (abode, New Cut)
    Cordelia bapt. 11 May 1832 (abode, Lower Marsh)
    Florence bapt 17 Jan. 1836 (abode, New Cut)
    Sorry, Florence should be Horace, as you said in your first post.

Coromandel

I haven't yet found George Pople in Lambeth in any directories but there is a George Pople in Pigot's 1839 directory of London as at the 'Roebuck', 109 Tottenham Court Road.

This would fit with the 1841 census where Esther Pople ('45') is shown as a publican on the Tottenham Court Road. In case you don't have the details already, there are several other Poples in the same household: Emma
    ('20'), John (19), Rosina (17), Clara (14), what looks like Coralia but is presumably your Cordelia (9), and Horace
    (5) as well as two barmen and an F.S. (female servant) in a separate bit of the household. All of them have 'n' in the birthplace column, i.e. not born in Middlesex.

(HO 107/686, book 1, folio 27, page 48).

I have used put quotation marks round the ages of Esther and Emma as a reminder that these ages may have been rounded down.

I've tried the sites mentioned also cemeteries, not found them yet, guessing Morgan was a 2nd marriage for Christian?
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Coromandel

A George Pople gave evidence at an Old Bailey trial on 17 February 1831. He said

'I keep the Three Compasses, Lambeth-marsh. I do not know the prisoner Clifford - I never saw him at my house that I know of; there is no skittle-ground at my house; the latter end of last summer I made some extensive alterations, and abolished the skittle-ground altogether; I had none at all at this time.'

When cross-examined as to who many people served in his house, he said:
    'I have three or four behind the counter - I have no tap-room; all my business is done between the counter and the street door - I have customers who drink there; I have a bar-maid and pot-boy - the bar-maid serves; they are not here - they were in my service on the 2nd and 3rd of February, and are still with me; there is no entrance to the part of the premises which used to be the skittle-ground, without passing through my counter, where nobody has been allowed to go - for the last six months there has been no skittle-ground there.'

I wonder if 'the Corn Shapes' and the '3 Campolsen' are both garbled versions of the Three Compasses?[/QUOTE]

Ancestry has these two deaths reg'd for Walleroo.
    Christina Morgan
    Death Date: 29 May 1877
    Death Place: Wallaroo
    Residence Place: Wallaroo
    Registration Place: Daly, South Australia
    Page Number: 415- 81
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1800
    David Morgan 1887 Wallaroo, South Australia abt 1853
    David Morgan
    Death Date: 13 Jan 1887
    Death Place: Wallaroo
    Residence Place: Wallaroo
    Registration Place: Daly, South Australia
    Page Number: 296-160
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
    Just found both cemetery details on Walleroo site

https://www.
    australiancemeteries.com/sa/coppercoast/wallaroo.htm
    online Data. click on Walleroo in cemetey search.

off to bed now.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast