Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    wendyar

Smile Poples of Lambeth, Surrey

Wow!! What an amazing result. Where do I begin?? This is my second attempt today to thank everyone for your contributions. I must be doing something wrong as the first message disappeared when I went to submit it. Thanks to Waitabit, olliecat, Coromandel and judyg. Until today I thought of myself as a competent researcher!! I have just checked out some of those sites you have pointed me to and got nil results from all of them!! Waitabit: I, along with another Pople researcher in Chelsea, England were both a bit puzzled as to the variation of parishes in which both generations of Poples were baptised and possibly the variation in wealth. We all know that cashflow can wax and wane from generation to generation and possibly the life and times of Britain in those eras had some influence on pocketbooks. I feel sure the battles of the times would have had an impact on many households. Just how they managed to feed and clothe such large families, if in the lower income bracket is a mystery to me.

I have a list of the two generations of Poples here. It was transcribed for me from entries, in very small hand writing, that Cordelia Pople recorded in a tiny missal that she brought with her when she migrated to Australia. She and her husband George Ross settled in the gold mining town of Ballarat, Victoria. The first records John and Elizabeth Pople. I have since confirmed the marriage for John Pople and Elizabeth Platt, 15 Feb, 1781 at All Hallows London Wall, Register of Marriages 1754-1785. The issue of this couple are recorded from 1781- 1800. Sophia Elizabeth, Maria, William, John, Richard, James, George, Anne, Ambrose, Charles, Alfred and Christian. George to Christian are the siblings baptised at Othery. To the best of my knowledge, the second generation that is my direct connection, comes from George, b. 30 Aug. 1791. I had located the marriage that "olliecat" points out. George Pople to Easther Haberfield 1813. I certainly cannot claim that this is 100% accurate as I have not confirmed it absolutely with the required three sources. It does fit in with the birth of the first child in 1815 that Coromandel also points out. The issue from this union are recorded from 1815- 1835. With Esther Celina, a stillborn unnamed male child, George William, Emma Elizabeth, John Enson, Rosena, Clare, Dorinda, Frederick, Octavious, Cordelia and Horace. Coromandel, please don't apopogize for getting sidetracked!. My living, Chelsea Pople has already posed the question, "Could George have married twice"? He had no record of my George and Esther but in fact had George and Elizabeth Pople with different children. He will be intrigued with all this new info!!

I have George as the police officer on the baptism of Esther Selina (Celina) and on Cordelia's baptism he is a licensed victualler. Perhaps keeping law and order became too dangerous an occupation. "Chelsea Pople" has found that three of the brothers were policemen: George, Alfred and I think Richard was the third-- should check but fear I'll be thrown out of this again before I submit it. I'll get back to that. He will also be delighted to see the new info about Christian and David Morgan. I know that he only had the date of death for Christian.

I also am finding these Poples an interesting family. For very many years I had previously undertaken successful research on my late mother's side of the family. My father being raised in Victoriana had the attitude that family history was no-one else's business so the info he contributed to my knowledge was very limited. The Ross family originated in Scotland and there it disappears with Gr. Gr. Grandpa Ross!! So I decided to look into the Poples.

Because of your generosity, there is so much to absorb, I'll finish this now and get back to you soon. I hope I have covered most of your questions. Maybe more Pople descendants will pick up this thread.

Once again, thank you all,

wendyar

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Wendyar, for fear of being tossed from the thread, write what you want on Notepad or similar. when you are happy with what you have, then copy/paste to a thread on the forum.

Beats being thrown out due to lack of time.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

wendyar

Hi judyg,

I have located the death notice for David Morgan in the Advertiser Adelaide SA 17 July 1896 but can't for the life of me find the obituary you mentioned in any July issues of the South Australian Register on Trove. Are you sure that was the correct paper??

With high expectations ---wendyar!!

judyg

Hi Wendyar

When you go to the trove site select advanced search and put "the late david morgan" in the exact search box this will bring up the article.

When you have done that go back and put "Olden Times. David Morgan's reminiscences" Into the seach box which will bring you up an even more detailed story of his life!!! Including why his wife died at the Wallaroo Gaol!

Just to show what a small world it is my 2XGreat Grandmother was also a resident of the Cottage Homes in North Adelaide at the same time as David!

Cheers
    Judyg

judyg

There is also another obituary in the South Australian Register 17 July 1896 with the heading "A Pioneer and Explorer"

wendyar

Hi again, judyg,

Smallworld it is!! I have found all those articles. Thank you. I don't know how you do it. I fumble for hours searching for things that I know are there. Still learning to navigate the net with my new connection. Been living in the dark ages for too long!
    I wondered I Christian might have ended up in a debtor's prison -- glad she was "safe" at home. And we think we have got it tough!! Wonder if that younger David Morgan was the son who is on the 1840 Passenger List of the Orleana. I'll take a look later.

I know there is more to reply to but will have to get away from the PC. I am gaining wait by the minute.

Cheers.

wendyar

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Simplify your searches, use less words, & congratulate yourself on joining this forum.!
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

wendyar

To Coromandel,

St John the Evangelist shows up in the Survey of London. What a remarkable undertaking that must have been. A photo of the church is on the internet. It is still standing gloriously on Waterloo Road.

The addresses you point out an garbled rubbish were probably lost in translation from the missal. I have never seen the original book, just transcriptions were sent to me. If my late Ross cousin's widow is still undertaking research, she will no doubt be interested in your comments. I am also in the dark about the "Hoop of Grapes". Being in Oxfordshire, do you know if this is an existing road? I have a huge street map of London here but no luck, again. I had considered the possibility of this being one of the old London pubs but only located a few with variations of the name.

To be continued!!

Cheers

Wendyar

wendyar

To olliecat,

I have just located and printed the two pages from the Gazette. My Chelsea Pople will be interested in them. He is currently undertaking some lateral research of the family, being a direct descendant from the Ambrose branch. Great news from Wallaroo South Australia. I have flushed out a direct descendant of Christian and David Morgan, still living in South Australia.

Thanks again to all,

wendyar

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by wendyar View Post
    St John the Evangelist shows up in the Survey of London. What a remarkable undertaking that must have been. A photo of the church is on the internet. It is still standing gloriously on Waterloo Road.
    Careful, Wendy. St John the Evangelist in Waterloo Road is not the same as St John the Evangelist, Westminster, which is the one mentioned by Coromandel. The Westminster one is in Smith Square, almost behind the Houses of Parliament.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast