melsibob

Default Whatever happened to Hilda May?

Hilda May Pearce was born 18 July 1900 in Andover. Her parents were Alice Pearce and Henry White. The 1901 census list Hilda May as White rather than Pearce living in Hurstbourne Tarrant. She is also on the 1911 census. I have found no record of her since. Hilda was my mother's sister. I remember that my mother referred to having siblings who had died before she was born in 1918. In a batch of old photographs I have found some that refer to "Dolly" - my mother sat with my brother one day writing names on the back of the photos to help remind us who they were of. The photgraphs show a young woman possibly in her late teens early 20's with a young girl (possibly a daughter?) sat in a garden. I have a vague memory of my mother having a sister who moved to Devon or somewhere close to that part of the country. Having looked at BMD I can't find anything that fits - anyone have any suggestions? I have similar problem with her brother John born in 1902.............

Very quick off the mark.

There is an entry on Ancestry for a Hilda May White who married Robert Henry Ford on 17 Apr 1920 at Portesham, Dorset. The bride's father's name is given as Henry White.

Maggie

P.S. In case you don't have an Ancestry subscription, the information (but not the image of the register) is availble on FamilySearch
    https://
    familysearch.org/
    Last edited by margarita; 20-05-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added extra information

melsibob

Thanks for this - at least it is a start. Just shows you a fresh pair of eyes can be very useful - think I may risk a copy of the marriage certificate to see if it confirms this is the right person - although if it is she clearly didn't die before my mother was born! The photograph I referred to has a young woman dressed in 1920's clothing........

melsibob

Having looked at the information on ancestry I will be no further on ordering the marriage certificate as it appears Hilda was living in Portesham at the time of her marriage. It says her father was a farmer - (a farm labourer in reality) - this ties in. If I could get something with her place of birth on (1921 census!) it would allow me to confirm it. She does not appear on electoral rolls in the Dorset area although Robert Henry Ford does. I wonder if she died shortly after her marriage..........

Perhaps she ran away to be with her lover and cast shame on the family and as a consequence was disowned by my grandparents and that's why my mother thought her sister had died .... getting carried away now!