p.mca

Default Missing census records 1891

Concerning the following individuals, my ancestors;
    1) Charles Edward Parkin b Dec q 1851 Hull, Yorkshire. My GGG grandfather. A mariner, variously an able seaman or boson on surviving records. On the index to the captains register of Lloyds he is noted; PARKIN, Charles Edward b. Hull 1851 C99746 Hull 1880
    2) His wife Maria Maria John, b Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales Apr q 1853. They married 1872 in Swansea.
    3) Their daughter Catherine Elizabeth Parkin b 14 May 1876 in Swansea.

A number of Charles' voyages are wonderfully documented via Swansea mariners website. In 1881 he is on the census on board ship, the SS Tiger, in Yorkshire. Wife Mary ('Married') and daughter Kathrine (sic) as well as another daughter Alice Maud are living in Kingston upon Hull.

I can find no trace of any of these individuals in 1891, in England or Wales, the two likely locations, or anywhere else for that matter. I have no certain records of Alice Maud after 1881 though there is a death in 1891 (March, so pre census), and a couple of other possibilites. I am less concerned with her. I have no further record of Charles Parkin including no death. Mary Maria remarries in 1896 and I do not at this point have the certificate, which would tell me if she is widowed or otherwise. In 1901 Mary and Catherine are living with her new husband Joseph Woodhall in Halifax, and they all emigrate to New Zealand the following year.

Any ideas appreciated to fill this irritating gap! Thanks in anticipation.

jac65

Hi

Many 1891 Census returns for shipping are missing according to the National Archives. Charles may well be on one of those

Andy

Thomasin

Throughout 1882, until 17th October that year, C E Parkin was serving aboard the 'Essex', which he joined at some point in 1881, rising from 2nd Mate to Mate (from the Crew Lists on FMP). Unfortunately there is no mention of him after the last voyage, and there is no log book surviving for 'Essex'.

Thomasin

This probably has nothing to do with your family, particularly with the extra 's', but in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 17th November 1896 there is this:

PARKINS-JONES October 19th, at Claremont Congregational Church, South Africa, Charles Edward Parkins, to Alice, eldest daughter of David Jones, Sheffield.

p.mca

Don't have a FMP (Find my Past?) sub so that's really useful to extend my list of voyages, thanks!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I have only just joined this site and you may have solved the mystery but your Charles Edward Parkin is my G. Grandfather. He married my G.Grandmother Annie Burns in Melbourne, Australia in 1888 and then went on to marry again after that. In each case there doesn't appear to be any record of divorce but each wife seems to have been still alive(Annie was put into Kew Mental Asylum and her children were told she had died, they didn't find out she had been still alive until she had actually died and they were adults.
    I know this because the place and year of birth you give for him is the same.