Starting to feel at home

Default death with control commission 1946

My wife's Aunt died in 1946 while working with the Control Commission.With the passing of my mother in law (the last of the generation) The papers have now passed to us and consist of a death certificate issued by the British Consular General in Lubeck. It tells us she died in a military hospital in Hanover, the death being reported by an official of the Control Commission. There is no where on the form for a cause of death and the family have no idea what caused the death, it would appear to have been sudden.

Has any one any idea as to where any records of my wife's late might be? I have looked at the MODs veterans site but that seems to be related to service personnel.
    Richard.

Jan1954

Hello Richard,

Not an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but I thought that you might be interested in this article from The Hansard dated 4th November 1946.

However, from reading the article, I am wondering if the employees were counted as Civil Servants. If so, there is this TNA Research Guide, which might help.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Richard
    Just a thought, have you tried the CWGC site?
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Starting to feel at home

Hello Peter, yes we have looked at the war graves records, they tell us her name, birth date and death date, her parents names and her grave number in the Hannover war cemetery, and that she died as a result of enemy action, but as she died in 1946 I wonder if this was not applied to all who were given graves in a war cemetery and buried by the military authorities.Her death certificate refers to an army death report, and no cause of death is given (nor is provision made to do so on the certificate.)
    The question is where might we find this report and any other records pertaining to her time with the control commission?
    thanks Richard.

SueNSW

Richard - may not be a lot of help but from CWGC there only appear to have been two deaths recorded of women in the Control Commission in 1946 who are buried in Hanover War Cemetery - one in June and one in August.

On the website of Amazon UK a bookshop in London is advertising for sale - "MONTHLY REPORTS. 4 VOLUMES: JUNE, JULY, AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER 1946. (Paperback) by THE CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY (BRITISH ELEMENT) Each is described as having 64 pages - with maps and diagrams.

Trouble is - they are asking GBP45.00 - but wonder if these monthly volumes might be available in a library somewhere - and also of course whether they might give any hints of the circumstances of death

Cheers
    Sue