Richard Miller

Smile Alexander Grant m. Margaret MacBean 1700's

Hi Folks

I am serching for the ancestors of my 4th great grandmother Elizabeth Jane Grant (born ?) daughter of Major General Grant who married Powlet (sometimes spelled Paulet) Welbore Colebrooke in 1786. Their first son was William George MacBean Colebrooke born in 1787.

In seeking a Grant MacBean connection I found that an Alexander Grant who fought at the battle of Culloden in 1746 on the side of Prince Charles and was wounded had previously married a Margaret MacBean. Afterwards Alexander went into hiding and his property at Glen Urquhart was destroyed, leaving the family in very straitened circumstances. In 1756 he joined a highland regiment raised for service in America and died in Havana in 1762. His wife was helped to bring up her children by Grant of Shewglie, the head of the family. She died in Nov 1758, leaving Charles one of her childern (who was born in a farmhouse in Aldourie on the day of the battle of Culloden) and his four younger siblings orphans. Charles went on to employment with the East India company which my Colebrooke ancestors were heavily involved with.

Can anyone help me to identify who the siblings were of Charles as one of them may have been Elizabeth Jane Grant's father.

Regards

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Miller; 14-05-2012 at 8:32 AM. Reason: additional info.

janbooth

Have you tried Scotland's People website. It is pay per view but you can obtain 30 credits for £7.00. Doing a search on baptisms for the surname GRANT 1745-1765 with the parent's names Alexander & Margaret brings up 4 hits, but unfortunately I have run out of credits so cannot view further.

Janet

Richard Miller

Hi Jan

Thanks for your advice I will try Scotlands people. However I have found a family tree for Alexander Grant and Margaret MacBean and there's no sign of my Elizabeth Jane Grant on it sadly, so its back to the drawing board.

Best wishes

Richard