Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    apowell

Default Looking Staffordshire wills

Hi,

I've found on a website mention of two wills and would like very much to obtain copies of them however I've checked on the National Archive-documents online, Staffordshire County Council online cat' and a well known site without any luck.

the details of the peoples are:

John Cotgreaves died 1746, Stone, Staffordshire
    Thomas Cotgreaves died 1785 Stone, Staffordshire

On this website it states regarding part of Thomas's will:
    Charles Hales- Beneficiary under the will of his uncle Thomas Cotgreave (died 1785), receiving a house in Stone, some pieces of land and the pew in Stone parish church where Thomas Cotgreave"s servants sat.

This information is unsourced so I'm not convinced but I would like very much to investigate further.

Any ideas where I could check.

Many thanks
    Adrian

Mutley

Is this the site that you found the information on?
    The third section seems to relate to your entries above.
    https://website.lineone.net/~tbenp/NW_Staffs.htm
    He also states that Margery was a beneficiary under the wills of her parents (both died 1746).
    She was the daughter of John & Catherine Cotgreave of Stone, who came previously from Chester.

Would it not be worth contacting the owner of the tree?
    I doubt he minds his link being given online seeing as his website has his email address. He seems to have done extensive research on the family and does state if he has, or has not, the sources from where the information originated.
    https://website.lineone.net/~tbenp/Home.htm

I believe I can post the links being as he is not asking for donations, is not selling anything or seemingly is commercial in any way.
    However, should that change then the links will be amended.

apowell

Hi Mutley,

That's a good idea and well worth a try.

I'm very cautious of accepting any information given by the web but I agree this one seems to have been well researched however the Cotgreave line dating back to the 13th century seems a little doubtful.

Many thanks
    Adrian

apowell

Hi Mutley,

I'm glad I took your advice and emailed the gentleman because as I thought the Cotgreave information has proved to be incorrect and fabricated to prove a link to the wealthy Cotgreaves of Chester. I thought this anyway given previous misleading information always going back to royalty etc.

The positive is the Hales family information is sourced and looking very good which has helped my reseach. I'm thinking the Cotgreaves mentioned must have been of some standing given the monies and lands held. I did find mention of land transactions in Stone dated around 1730's-1780's.

I'm looking forward to looking into the Cotgreaves further and I will open a thread to enquire if anyone else has an interest.

Many thanks
    Adrian

Mutley

I am also glad you tried. At least you were able to get a response.

Often it is difficult to sort out the wood from the trees but the process of elimination can also be a useful exercise.

Good Luck.

janbooth

If you are still interested in obtaining the wills, have you tried contacting Lichfield Record Office by email to see if they have them. Most Staffordshire wills were probated at Lichfield, so it may well be that they have the originals and could copy them for you. Worth a try anyway, as in my experience they have always been extremely helpful.

Janet

apowell

Hi,

Many thanks I've emailed them and let's hope for a positive response.

Take care
    Adrian

sueannbowen

This whole Will location thing is interesting. Somewhat naively I thought that if a Will pre-dated Probate (1858) and survived they were in the National Archive and therefore online either at TNA or via a pay per view website.
    Anyway having accessed said pay per view website (TG) they have this very helpful and succinct bit of info:

Locating Wills

Wills proven in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury are now held at the National Archives in Kew.

Wills proven in the Prerogative Court of York are currently held at Bothwick Institute, part of the University of York.

All other wills up to 1858 are held in local record offices across the country, apart from those in Wales from 1521, which are held at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth.

Also Wills proven in the Archdeanery of Canterbury are not in TNA but in Kent Record Office just to be helpful!

Jan1954

Thanks for that, Sue. I have copied your post to the end of the Wills sticky as it is updated information.

apowell

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

Lichfield Record Office replied and had copies of the wills I required which I ordered yesterday.

I've just received better news today because a fellow researcher very kindly sent me all three copies of these wills.

What a very kind man and I've met so many helpful people while researching.

Kind regards
    Adrian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast