Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Default Isaac Parsons Stalbridge Dorset

For many years now I had thought we had established our Parsons line as far back as 1680 but a recent re-evaluation of our researches has cast some doubt.

We are quite clear as to the line as far back as 1780 to Isaac Parsons.

The query which has now been raised relates to the fact that there appear to have been two Isaac Parsons born in 1780 in Stalbridge. One to William Rogers Parsons and Hannah Arney and the other to Steven Parsons and Jane?

What might be the best way of establishing which Isaac is ours.

Thoughts or information would be welcome.

Thanks

radstockjeff

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can see all your data on Family Search and whilst the Christenings are repeated there is just one marriage.
    I assume that this is your ancestor. Family search does not show offer any originals.
    I googled Dorset Parish Records and everyone claims to have them.

The original for the marriage needs to be turned up to see if there is any reference to parents or perhaps a Parsons witness which could match up for the parentage.

What did Isaac do for a living. Did he leave a will or did either of the potential fathers leave a will.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaele View Post
    I can see all your data on Family Search and whilst the Christenings are repeated there is just one marriage.
    There appear to be three marriages between 1801 to 1804 at Stalbridge, although we haven't been told which of these is the relevant one.

Isaac PARSONS to MARY BEASLEY/BAZELEY
    Isaac PARSONS to Elizabeth RYALL
    Isaac PARSONS to Ann VINING

Findmypast has these marriages transcribed and the witness names are included. Be warned, there are a some witnesses, (i.e. Samuel HARRIS) who appear on many of the marriages at Stalbridge who could be church employees or hired witnesses.

What about the children of your Isaac? Are there any naming patterns which are similar to those of the previous generation?

The PCC wills at the TNA has the following

Will of William Parsons, Miller of Shaston Saint Rumbold , Dorset 18 December 1850 PROB 11/2124

Shaston seems to be in Shaftesbury and Stalbridge just outside.

The last time I bought a will it was £ 3.50 and it is a download.

If this William leaves anything to a son Isaac it could be a conclusion

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...line/wills.asp

Dorset Girl

There is an item concerning a will for an Isaac Parsons in 1849 under Dorset England Wills and Probates on Ancestry.

Dorset Girl

The will was actually made in 1847, he was a Cordwainer, Sister Mary Ann Parsons, others mentioned are James Jeans, Martha Jeans and Samuel Bryant and housekeeper Bethia Williams. Don't suppose any of this is of much help to you!
    Marion

Quote Originally Posted by Dorset Girl View Post
    There is an item concerning a will for an Isaac Parsons in 1849 under Dorset England Wills and Probates on Ancestry.
    Is this the will dated 1847 or have you found another one?

I saw a will earlier proved through the Dorset Archdeaconry dated 1847, for Isaac PARSONS of Stalbridge Weston, Dorset, cordwainer.

I suspect this will relates to the Isaac who married Mary and is in the 1841 census and living in Stalbridge, born abt 1780 in Dorset, a shoemaker. Although we still haven't been told which Isaac we are looking for and which wife is his.

There's also an earlier burial record in 1833 in Stalbridge for an Isaac PARSONS born about 1780.

EDIT: Marion, forget my question regarding the will date - you have answered my question above.

Dorset Girl

There are several wills for Parsons there but only one for Isaac - there was a "deposition" from the witnesses to say they were at the signing of the will but there was no mention of a wife or any children in it though.
    Interesting when there are three of the same name b in the same year!!!!!
    Marion

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

We have been working on the basis that our Isaac is the once who married Mary Bazeley,in 1801, whose son Harry(b 1802) married Harriet Parsons in 1825.

Where the doubts came in related to the parents of our Isaac, whom we took as being William Rogers Parsons (b1761) and Hannah Arney.

The parish records for Stalbridge before 1770 seemed at the time of our original search some years ago to be rather vague with quite a bit missing.However the line which we followed back was via Willam b1761, John (b 1732) m Elizabeth Rogers, John (b1707) m Eleanor and John (b 1680) m Anne Kimber

Anyhow I am grateful for the contributions so far from members.

radstockjeff

Coromandel

A thorough search of the original parish registers may shed more light on the problem. For example, did both candidate sets of parents for Isaac stay in the parish? Or perhaps one of the Isaacs died young, which would rule him out.

Wills have already been suggested above, but don't forget to look for wills of any possible relations as well as Parsonses, both in the PCC and in lower courts.

Other records which might provide genealogical clues include apprenticeship records, poor law records, deeds and manorial records, to name but a few. Most of these won't be online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast