Thread: Red Line

Maki2000

Default Red Line

On the 1911 Wales census there is an Aswal Wynne born 1911 Glamorganshire, Wales, living at 202 Caerphilly Road Senghenydd with John and Mary Wynne.On the orginal there is a red red line through his name does anyone know what it means.

Colin Rowledge

Look at Mary on the original image. How long had she been married, how many children had she had born alive and how many were deceased at the time of the census? This may answer your question.

Colin

malcolm99

The Census Reference for this is RG14 PN32243 SN6

Coromandel

Sometimes parents misunderstood the questions on the 1911 census and gave names of all their children, alive and dead. Perhaps Aswal had died before the census and so the census enumerator deleted that line.

On FreeBMD I see that there are birth and death registrations for an Oswald Wynne in the last quarter of 1909, Pontypridd district. Could this be 'Aswal'? (I know you said in post #1 that 'Aswal' was born in 1911, but perhaps the census return gives his age at death, rather than his age in 1911?)

Maki2000

Cheers for that can't find birth or death record though.

Maki2000

That answers that one,it ties in with what I already have,(thought I found a new person).

malcolm99

It’s very difficult to say and I see your problem. The number of children against the father’s name is 5 living and 1 dead. But after this has been crossed through and reinserted in the wife’s line it looks as though originally it was originally 5 living and 1 dead but this was subsequently changed to 6(or 5) living and none dead. In the enumerator’s book the total has been changed from Males 4 Females 4 Total 8 to Males 3 Females 4 Total 7.

What’s difficult is the age of Aswal. I think after staring at it long & hard that it says “one week”. Because the whole entry is crossed through I think this means that “Aswal” wasn’t there on the night and wasn’t one of the family. There is certainly nothing in the GRO birth & death indexes to indicate that it was a child who had been entered on the Census form but had actually died before 2nd April (Census night). On the other hand it may indicate a child born on, say, 3rd April who shouldn’t in fact have been included on the census. The only birth in the area that fits this is Eurlys Wynne Pontypridd RD June Quarter 1911 Vol.11A p. 753 and it could be worth investigating that. (Eurlys died in Sep Q 1911).