sue lovatt

Question Proudmore-Is there any out there?

I am looking for proudmores especially those that have links with Cheshire/Staffordshire and Yorkshire. I have reason to believe originally they were land labourers that migrated to Staffordshire and then became miners. When the work in the staffordshire coal fields went quiet they would move across the country to the wombwell area of Yorkshire, my mother was born there in 1926. She vagely remembers family over there by the name of Ferneyhough.
    If anyone can help I would be over the moon this is the only branch of my tree that has run into a brick wall.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by sue lovatt View Post
    If anyone can help I would be over the moon this is the only branch of my tree that has run into a brick wall.
    What is your brick wall? How far back have you got? Do you have a trail of birth, marriage and death certificates back into the past? Have you found your family in census records?

We need answers to these questions first before we can help you smash your wall.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can see a female Proundmore birth in the Barnsley registration district in 1926 which does include Wombwell
    There is also a 1924 Proudmore-Kelsall marriage in the Stoke registration district which matches progressing your family tree.

As the AUP forbids publishing details of persons who are still alive I cannot document these accurately but is this the type of detail you are looking for or do you already have it.

Reputation beyond repute

my mother was born there in 1926
    Is this your "brick wall"?

Starting with your mother, trace your family backwards, generation by generation, gathering documentary evidence as you go. You will most certainly find it useful to go to your library and get a beginners guide to family history. In practice. start with the online library catalogue. The Dewey Decimal reference for genealogy is 929.1