malcolm99

Default St George Lodge, Greenwich (1827)

I have a (Greenwich) St Alphege church burial of Sarah Illman age 47 on 23rd November 1827.
    Her address is given as “Saint George Lodge”.

Does anyone know where or what this was?

malcolm99

St Georges Lodge (not George)

Well I’ve managed to find it, in all its isolated glory, on Greenwood’s 1830 map* (the panel north of Vanburgh House) and in modern terms it seems to be round about the junction of Vanburgh Hill and Annandale Road.

However, wildly exciting though this is, I’d still like to know what its purpose/function was – does anyone know?

* https://www.
    motco.com/map/81003/

Mutley

My first thought was that it was something to do with St Georges Cathedral but obviously not. Wrong place.
    Second thought, has Booth done a walk there?
    Third thought, was the workhouse not roundabout there, off the Woolwich Road, though I think it was built a bit later?

I'll have to go and put actions to the thoughts.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Third thought, was the workhouse not roundabout there, off the Woolwich Road, though I think it was built a bit later?
    That's the one Mutley. It was built in 1840.

https://www.
    workhouses.org.uk/Greenwich/

St George's Lodge was just to the south of the Workhouse garden on Conduit Lane but it had disappeared by the time of Stanford's 1862 map leading me to suspect it was demolished around the time the Workhouse was built. It was situated more or less opposite Matilda College, which again, is on the 1862 map.

I think this is one to put on my 'to do' list for a later date.

P.S.What 'Law' is it that says the place you're looking for is always 1/4 mile beyond the map's border!

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post

P.S.What 'Law' is it that says the place you're looking for is always 1/4 mile beyond the map's border!
    Depends where you where dragged up, might be Murphy's but could be that strange fellow by the name of S*d.

Mutley

A bit of probably useless information....
    Greenwich contains the buildings of some of our finest architects. Sir John Vanbrugh being one of them. He built himself a fortress on the crest of the hill called Vanbrugh's castle. I don't suppose it had a lodge?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Greenwich contains the buildings of some of our finest architects. Sir John Vanbrugh being one of them. He built himself a fortress on the crest of the hill called Vanbrugh's castle.
    Well you’re spot on again about the Houses around there Mutley. I thought at one point that it was a lodge at the top of West Combe Park which was just to the west of Woodlands House and more or less to the north of Vanburgh House, but this map makes me wonder whether that is the case: users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/map_g12m.html

It may have a connection to Woodlands House or it may just be a stand alone building. I’ll sort it out one day! Whatever it was it led me to finding my first Van Dieman's Land convict in the family - 'Life' for sheep stealing in Blackheath: not something you get a lot of nowadays I think!

Mutley

Looking at my old 1922 map (100 years on) would it have been east off of Westcombe Hill?
    'Life' for sheep stealing in Blackheath: not something you get a lot of nowadays I think!
    That depends!! probably more 'Black Sheep' now, than there was back then.