Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wendymac

Default MARY RALPHS /RALPBS

Just wondered if anyone can help me with this.

About 18years ago an old lady I looked after gave me a little hymm and prayer book -it is so tiny. inside it there is an inscription which reads...To Mary Ralpbs/ralphs for best attendance at church and chior practice.
    best wishes the Rev A H Leech - Wingates Church. ( I think Wingates is in Westhoughton )

I have been trying to find anything on Mary Ralpbs but with so little info not sure what I am coming up with is the right one, I suppose its a needle in a haystack really but just thought I'd ask some of the brilliant minds of the forum members on BG.

Can anyone help please.

Thankyou

Wendy

Jan1954

Hi Wendy,

First, the name is probably Ralphs, rather than Ralpbs but has the last down-stroke of the "h" curling round so that it looks like a "b". What do you think?

Second, are there any clues as to the age of the book? Either a print date or even a faded inscription date?

wendymac

Sorry Jan, I forgot to put it in I rushing about getting ready for work, this is in the inscription 14th January 1891.

If I don't reply it's because I am off to work but will be back on tonight, thanks for your reply.

wendy

pennydog

I thought it would be easy to find the Rev. A H Leech on the 1891 census, but it turns out that by 5/4/1891 (census date), Samuel Sheppard is "Clerk in Holy Orders - Vicar of Wingates Bolton" RG12/3107/16/28. There are 'Ralphs' in and around Church Lane, West Houghton, but I did not see a Mary.

Hi

Is there a chance it could be Wallgate in Wigan, I did a search on the 1891 census and there is a Mary Ralph's age 14 living in Wigan
    There is also a Mary Ralphs age 18 living in Bolton, can you tells were Mary was living when died, we may be able to see how old she was at time of death, and work from that

Peanut

pennydog

Now I am confused (it does not take much) Samuel Sheppard was the vicar of Wingates 1888-1908 from Lancs OPC.

Google does throw up 'hits for Rev A H Leech, but that is in Ireland - in 1889 he is the Very Rev A H Leech, Dean of Cashel.

So how (if this is the same man) does he come to be in Lancashire?

None of this does, however, help to find Mary Ralphs.

JenniLl

On the 1891 census there is a Mary J Ralphs living at Ince in Makerfield which is about 3miles from Wingates. She was born in Roscommon,Ireland as was her Mother. I wonder if the Rev Leech was visiting rather than being the incumbent?

Is the Prayer book C of E ?

To throw another idea in - there appears to have been a AHLeech JP at that time, the only other man with the same initials that I found was involved with mining!

Will keep foraging.

Jenni

wendymac

Thanks pennydog for your look up and your time, I've tried looking for A H Leech myself and I dont know which is more difficult - him or Mary ha ha.
    Will have another look tomorrow- I mean today it's 1.45am ....

Thank you

Wendy

wendymac

Thankyou Peanut and Jenni for your replies also. I don't know anything about this person at all her name was inside the little books the lady I looked after gave to me that was about 1993/94 approx she was in her 80's then I don't think she is still with us but you never know. Her surname was Wharmby and initial N. but I can't give the full name for these reasons.
    I will check the book tomorrow to see if it's CofE or not.

Thankyou both

Wendy

marj

Hi Wendy

A possibility that Mary Ralph was your lady's Aunt

on the 1881 census 3826/120/32 there is
    Mary Ralphs aged 8 b. Hindley
    John Ralphs aged 6 "
    Alice Ralphs aged 4 "
    Holland Ralphs aged 2 "
    Living with their grandmother Mary Crompton aged 68

1911 Index their is Holland Ralphs aged 31. on the index there is also a Nellie Ralphs aged 1
    Bolton Registration District.

Hope this helps

Regards Marj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast