Thread: Gender

GloucsYeates

Default Gender

Hi,
    I have a quick question, I would like to know what 'U' stands for under gender in a list of wills for people I have just been searching for.
    Many Thanks,
    David

Reputation beyond repute

Not knowing what list you're looking at I can only suggest that there may be a key at the top or bottom of the list.

If I had to guess, I'd say if the options are M, F and U (you would know that, we don't), that U = unknown

GloucsYeates

THank you for reply,
    I'll be more clear, I was searching on the Gloucestershire Archive website at their Geneoloigical Database where I came across the Wills. The people I were looking at were Yeoman at the beginning of the 1800's, I wondered if 'U' maybe Unmarried?
    Many Thanks
    David

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Not knowing what list you're looking at I can only suggest that there may be a key at the top or bottom of the list.

If I had to guess, I'd say if the options are M, F and U (you would know that, we don't), that U = unknown
    I agree with Peter.

Transcribers look at originals and if written badly -
    Francis = Frances
    Jas. = James or Jasmine
    Clair = Claire
    The list goes on.

U in this case = Unknown - the transcriber had no idea!!

Reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with Colin. You shouldn't guess on the basis of name. If a will says "I'm a widow", then it's female. If i tsays "I leave to my wife..." then it's male. And so on. If all you have to go on is "James", it's safest to put "Unknown"

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't agree with Colin. You shouldn't guess on the basis of name. If a will says "I'm a widow", then it's female. If i tsays "I leave to my wife..." then it's male. And so on. If all you have to go on is "James", it's safest to put "Unknown"
    It was only an idea based upon --------!!!

Famous for offering help & advice

I was looking at the site and I think it means Unknown or more accurately, Unspecified... The non conformist pages show, Mother, Father, C which appears to be a child and shown after names of both sexes, F after some of the female names , M after some of the male names, and U. I think it means the records did not positively identify the sex of the person so rather than guess, even the name was "William" they used U.

Sue