Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Sarah and John Tyrell

Another of G-Grandma's siblings who disappears into the ether.

Sarah Connell
    I have Sarah Connell in census up until her marriage in 1876 and then I come unstuck!
    Sarah Connell was born in 1850 in St Pancras. She marries John George Tyrell on 4 Dec 1876 at The Parish Church, Haverstock Hill.
    At his marriage John George Tyrell is 21, a sculptor and both he and Sarah were living at 15 Hawley Road West. Haverstock Hill, Camden
    John's father was Thomas Tyrell Coach maker.

Does anyone know if Hawley Road, Kentish Town is the same Hawley Road.
    I have found this one on a census in 1891 RG 12 Piece 132 Folio 93 Page 4. I would like to exclude this John Tyrell a Zoolocical Keeper.
    Otherwise I do not know what happened to them.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    ELMA

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Elma

The zoological John is also at 25 Hawley rd in 1881 with a wife Sarah - but she is b1846 Northwold, norfolk RG 11 piece 211 f 74 p 5

I have found a John G Tyrell age 24 in Eastfields, Greenham, Berkshire in 1881. A boarder, married, stone carver(mason) b Dublin. Does he seem likely?

RG11 p 1268 f 56 p 20

(census crown copyright in care of TNA)

malcolm99

According to Camden History Society's 'Streets of Gospel Oak and West Kentish Town', "before 1886 Hawley Street was known as Hawley Road West". It looks as though Hawley Road was a separate street. I'm just checking on a contemporary map but this usually takes me some time! Will be back.

Famous for offering help & advice

A suggestion for sarah in 1881( sp Tyrrell )-
    with the Edwards family in 233 Stanhope St St Pancras, no relationship given
    married b 1852 St pancras. no husband present.

RG11 p181 f 115 p 62

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    "before 1886 Hawley Street was known as Hawley Road West". It looks as though Hawley Road was a separate street.
    If I've understood your query properly (which I'm not sure I have) then Hawley Road and Hawley Road West were different streets in 1876 and Hawley Road and Hawley Street (formerly Hawley Road West) were separate streets in 1891.

Thank you Malcom and Grisel . I hope I have not confused you.

I think you have understood Malcom99. It just seemed such a coincidence but I thought I would ask.

Grisel the census at Greenham looks a possibility, with little to go on do you think sculptor equates stone carver, sounds like it could to me. I have looked at the1881 census in Stanhope and it also makes sense but I cant identify any names there.
    It is so frustrating, two sisters born a year apart just vanish. I do find the London families more challenging.
    Thanks again Elma

I have just found Sarah Tyrell on the 1901 census, staying at 38 Carnaby Street, Westminster. I know it is my Sarah as she is staying with her sister Margaret and family. RG13 Piece 97 Folio 149 Page 29. She is working as a cook domestic, she is recorded as being married. Perhaps John and Sarah separated. You would have thought with his occupation he would be easy to find.
    ELMA