Thread: elam

lisagrace

Default elam

im starting again from the beginning with my elam tree got my self confused with names and dates and i might of followed the wrong person even though there probably related

i start with a john elam's marriage cert 25th dec 1906 st anthonys stepney
    john elam 28 bachelor stereotype printer 105 devonshire st father john elam deceased master builder
    emily harriet hohne 21 105 devonshire st father john hohne labourer

i have followed the hohne line with no problem its the elams
    the 1911 census shows john and emily he states he was born in limehouse,
    got birth cert for the only john elam born 1878 in limehouse area and it says that his father is robert mother jane

i followed this line with no problem but i'm sitting here thinking that ive probably got the wrong line as why did he say his father was john master builder and his birth cert says robert rope and mat maker cannot find john 1878 in any other census with his parents other than with robert and jane.

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by lisagrace View Post
    cannot find john 1878 in any other census with his parents other than with robert and jane.
    Neither can I. If Robert died when John was young (and Jane probably remarried), then it is quite likely that John would not have known his father's first name. As to the occupation, people often elevated their father's job on their marriage certificates.

I'm inclined to think that you were on the right track with parents Robert and Jane.

lisagrace

thanks thomasin