Colin Rowledge

Default Miss Nellie Golley - born Aug. 1 1891

The lady named above is my grand Aunt. I don't believe I have posted about her in the past, but she is presenting me with a bit of a mystery prior to her marriage on the 28 April 1919.

I have her with her parents and 4 siblings in 1901 - Ref. RG13/2239/45/4 - census held by TNA Crown Copyright.

Her given name at birth and on the census is Ellen, but she was later to become known as Nellie and was the name she used when she married.

She does not appear in the 1911 census either as Nellie or Ellen. So where was she? The most likely appears to me that she wasn't in the UK when the census was held.

Scanning Ancestry and FMP for outgoing passengers does not shed any light except one - an adult and a spinster going to the U.S. in 1908 but somehow I don't think this is her.

On Ancestry I did find a Miss Nellie Golley - birth about 1891 - returning to the UK from Cape Town South Africa arriving England on September 18, 1912. She is a Domestic which I believe is a Servant and that she may have worked for a family that left England. She is returning alone and is a 3rd class passenger. There appears to be little information on the passenger manifest and the transcription on A. is - to me anyway - a trifle confusing.

Can some one assist me in proving if this is my grand Aunt?

Thanks
    Colin

pippycat

Hi Colin,

Unsure just who following is, but I saw a Golley marriage to Bray and wonder if this might be related.

1911 census RG14 P13975
    Lansdowne, Clinton Road, Redruth

William Bray 1858 Redruth Chemist/Pharmacist employer
    Ellen Bray 1858 Treleigh, Redruth
    Ellen Marian Bray 1892 Redruth
    Dora Andrewartha 1891 Marazion, Cornwall domestic servant

Married 22 years, 2 children both still living.

Rebecca

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Hi Colin,

Unsure just who following is, but I saw a Golley marriage to Bray and wonder if this might be related.

1911 census RG14 P13975
    Lansdowne, Clinton Road, Redruth

William Bray 1858 Redruth Chemist/Pharmacist employer
    Ellen Bray 1858 Treleigh, Redruth
    Ellen Marian Bray 1892 Redruth
    Dora Andrewartha 1891 Marazion, Cornwall domestic servant

Married 22 years, 2 children both still living.

Rebecca
    Definitely not my Nellie as she married Joseph Henry Bray on April 28, 1919. She was born August 1, 1891 and was the daughter of Joseph Golley and Elizabeth - nee Jory. Both her parents were alive in 1911 and were living at 16 Blights Row, Redruth.

Joseph Henry was illegitimate and was born January 25, 1891. No father named on his birth cert.

Thanks for trying, though

Brick wall demolition expert!

About all I can find is what you already have, the Nellie arriving in London 1812 aboard the Garth Castle fits your Nellie perfectly, it is a little confusing stating S A as her last country of permenent residency..not sure how that works..but she states her future permenant residency as England.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    About all I can find is what you already have, the Nellie arriving in London 1812 aboard the Garth Castle fits your Nellie perfectly, it is a little confusing stating S A as her last country of permenent residency..not sure how that works..but she states her future permenant residency as England.
    Descendants of Nellie's family have no ideas either. Her life as a teenager is unknown.

Nellie was a lovely lady and I have a photo of her that I think was taken just prior to her marriage. After marriage [1919], her family were the be-all and end-all of her life. Nothing else entered into her universe. Her husbaned died in 1942 at the age of 51. There were 3 children - 2 sons and a daughter. When her youngest child - Norman - was killed in a motorcycle accident in 1959, to the outside world her life ended.

She left the world on January 22, 1971 and her secrets went with her.

Thomasin

Just a small point, but I think the Nellie arriving from South Africa is noted as landing at Soton (Southampton), not London. Much nearer to Cornwall!