Colin Rowledge

Default My dad - 1919 to 2011

As he was a life-long supporter of Chelsea, and my antagonist due to my suppot of Arsenal, he is probably turning cartwheels

The results are in the books

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Aaaah, a fellow 'gooner'. We didn't do too well today Collin.......3-3. But a point is a point.

At least Chelsea is a neighbor of Arsenal........and I'm happy they won.

Steve.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    Aaaah, a fellow 'gooner'. We didn't do too well today Collin.......3-3. But a point is a point.

At least Chelsea is a neighbor of Arsenal........and I'm happy they won.

Steve.
    But allowing 3 goals to a team - Norwich - that was only promoted last year? That isn't what I expected!!

Chelsea? Their team photo with Jose M. is part of my dad's memorabilia collection. Do you think he'll be Roman's choice as manager next year? If Roberto wins in Europe later this month and after the axe-ing of 'whatisname' it'll be a difficult decision.

B-T-W- notwithstanding the 'disallowed' goal by Andy Carroll - Chelsea deserved the win. Will Kenny D. be back with the 'Pool next year?

I thinking of going to to see L.F.C. play T.F.C. in July - might be interesting
    Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Yes Colin.....3 goals conceded was not a good idea.

Hopefully, Arsenal will be in a Champions league position, at the end of the season...........fingers and toes crossed.

Lone Pine

My Dad was a life long supporter of Arsenal, my Hubby is a life long supporter of Arsenal, and my Father in law was again a life long supporter of Arsenal.

Me I hate football, and would rather sit and watch paint dry, but I suppose coming from a "Gooner" family I had better start supporting Arsenal.

Liane Hawes

Lone Pine

I know how you feel, my grandparents lived about 1/4 mile from the old Highbury ground and you could hear the crowds on a saturday home game. My friends and I used to run to the nearest house when a big cheer went up just to see who had scored but like you I'd rather do something else than watch football. I do get my own back on hubby when Wimbledon is on as the remote control is mine for the fortnight - ahhh strawberries and cream, oh..... and rain - british summer bring it on

Colin Rowledge

Dear Lone Pine and Liane

Quote Originally Posted by Liane Hawes View Post
    I do get my own back on hubby when Wimbledon is on as the remote control is mine for the fortnight - ahhh strawberries and cream, oh..... and rain - british summer bring it on
    Football is lnown world wide as 'the beautiful game'. 22 players and 3 officials all running around like headless chickens, perfect gentlemen who shake hand before and after a game, hugs and kisses when a goal is scored and rarely a punch-up!!

Compare that to our games here - Ice Hockey and lacrosse - which is complete and utter mayhem.

Wimbledon = Tennis. Tennis has balls, lots of grunting and nasty abuse of the officials who are only doing their job. Hardly a genteel game and certainly not designed for ladies!! However, I guess that is all put aside when the Champers and Strawbeeries and Cream are served. now

Colin

Jack Richards

Hi Colin and all

If Colin's late father had been alive today, he would no doubt have enthused about the progress of my team Manchester City. Their football this season and part of last has been good.

I note his love of Chelsea, he would have been proud of their supporters on one of their visits to the old Maine Road stadium in the 1990s, when the old Kippax Stand was about to be demolished. They laid flowers by the side of the pitch as respect for the supporters who had stood there since the 1920s.

Also your love of Arsenal, a few weeks ago, I spent a day there watching them demolish my team 1-0 - a nightmare, not to mention my journey to and from the game. Trains needing 3 to 4 changes, last minute flights, packed tube trains. The stadium is magnificent.

One thing I dislike about all the top London clubs is the expensive ticketing. Our prices are much cheaper and far superior to Chelsea.

Oh and Sunday, 13 May 2012, 44 years since we last won the top prize (vbg) and the start of my 50th. year of support.

Regards

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Richards View Post
    Hi Colin and all

If Colin's late father had been alive today, he would no doubt have enthused about the progress of my team Manchester City. Their football this season and part of last has been good.

Oh and Sunday, 13 May 2012, 44 years since we last won the top prize (vbg) and the start of my 50th. year of support.

Regards
    Well Jack, it looks like we are all gonna be happy tonight.

City won the title

Chelsea won the F.A. Cup

Arsenal staved off the ghastly idea of not qualifying for Champions league and finished 3rd which, given how their season started is somewhat surprising [and probably not warranted].

Tottenham still have Harry as manager and that to me is how that team has evolved

And Q.P.R. [my other team] survived. Joey Barton was his usual rambunctious self and, despite all, probably inspired the squad. Wonder what Mark Hughes will do now that he has the off-season to prepare and a certain commitment of funds in the transfer market

Will talk footie -next fall, the good Lord willing.

Colin

Jack Richards

Hi Colin and other friends

I appreciate that not all of you are interested in professional football in England, but please fast forward a few generations say 50 to 60 years and longer, when may of us are long since departed.

Will our later families researching our lives be interested in our social activities? I think "Yes"!

Will they be interested in our love of football and/or other sports? I think "Yes"

Will they wish to discover facts about our social lives? I think "Yes"

I understand that today (2012) some / many of you are not interested in our hobbies or sports, in particular watching professional football. That is your choice.

But I ask you to consider the following stats. and fast forward to your descendants.

Today at Manchester City F.C. stadium, I together with about 47,000+ people watched a live football game in which Manchester City Football Club won the top prize in G.B. Football, namely the champions of the Premiership Football.

However, it was watched by at least 600 million people in 200 countries worldwide. (Source: Sky Sports.)

It has been estimated that the revenue to the winners Manchester City F.C, is at least £230 million within the next 12 months. (Source: Manchester Evening News quoting research by Manchester University).

Compare this with our ancestors and our respective research. My ancestors were mainly of mining stock and prior to that probably "on the land" - this was about three hundred years ago. Their hobbies were so much different.

Apologies now, the champers has started to affect me! Senior citizens crying at a football match when their team is losing and then winning at the end!. Will our future generations of researchers believe such things? I wonder.

Colin, I note your comments.

Regards

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Richards; 13-05-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Two typos