Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ebobby

Post Searching for the parents of John Capp

Hi hope I'm in the right place.
    I'm searching for the parents of John Capp b1781 in Holme next Runcton, Norfolk
    He married Elizabeth Lolham(nee Sampson) the widow of John Lolham in 1812
    He was a publican and carpenter and ran the Gate pub at Runcton (As found in Whites 1836 and 1845 directories).

MarkJ

Can you let us know what you have looked at already? For example, have you looked at the baptism registers for that area to see if there is any mention of John's parents names given (they aren't always terribly useful, but occasionally the minister will give lots of details!)

Coromandel

Hello ebobby and welcome to the forum

In case you haven't already discovered them, Archdeacon's transcripts for Holme-next-Runcton with Wallington-cum-Thorpland are on FamilySearch. The marriage of John and Elizabeth is at the bottom of the very last page, here. John is described as a single man 'of this parish'. Unfortunately that doesn't mean he was born there: it's just his residence at the time of the marriage.

I had a not-very-thorough look at the baptisms for around the time you were expecting John to be born but couldn't see any Capp(s), Cape, etc.

I can see what looks like John in the 1841 census index on FamilySearch. He is shown as 60 but ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 on this census so he could have been older. I can't see the full details of the census but in any case it wouldn't give an exact birthplace, just whether or not born in Norfolk. Was John still alive in 1851? If so you should get a better idea of his age and birthplace from that.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Have you tried the Archive Center at The Norfolk Records Office?? Good a place as any to start.
    Norfolk Record Office
    The Archive Centre
    Martineau Lane
    Norwich
    NR1 2DQ
    Tel: 01603 222599

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Hello ebobby and welcome to the forum

In case you haven't already discovered them, Archdeacon's transcripts for Holme-next-Runcton with Wallington-cum-Thorpland are on FamilySearch. The marriage of John and Elizabeth is at the bottom of the very last page, here. John is described as a single man 'of this parish'. Unfortunately that doesn't mean he was born there: it's just his residence at the time of the marriage.

I had a not-very-thorough look at the baptisms for around the time you were expecting John to be born but couldn't see any Capp(s), Cape, etc.

I can see what looks like John in the 1841 census index on FamilySearch. He is shown as 60 but ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 on this census so he could have been older. I can't see the full details of the census but in any case it wouldn't give an exact birthplace, just whether or not born in Norfolk. Was John still alive in 1851? If so you should get a better idea of his age and birthplace from that.
    Can see John on 1841 census but not 1851 could this be his burial---correct area-
    John Capp 2 Nov 1845-Home with South Rumton Wollington Thorpeland Norfok pretty sure this is bad transcribing for South Runcton Wallington THorpeland Norfolk...comes under the Downham Poor Law Union same as Runcton Holme and South Runcton
    If so age is 66 so a baptism abt 1779

There is a baptism for a John Capp 26 Oct 1777

West Dereham,​ Norfolk,​ England
    Parents Richard and Ann- West Dereham also comes under the Downham Parish/Poor Law Union..so right area..

ebobby

Wow thanks guys for such a quick response.
    MarkJ: I haven't had chance yet as I have just returned from Canada. But the places I have looked don't seem to go back that far
    Coromandel : John was born in Holme next Runcton and died in 1845
    valg: Yes Val the one who died 2nd Nov 1845 is my 3x great grandfather . Holme and Runcton were amalgamated to form what is now known as Runcton Holme.His parents are the ones I can't seem to find.

Reputation beyond repute

So not a brick wall just yet then. Norfolk BTs and ATs are online at the FamilySearch site

Starting to feel at home

Hi Ebobby
    There is a christening for a John Capps parents sam and ann 5th august 1781 at West Dereham which is 5 miles
    from Runcton Holme you can find the image on family search parish registers for west dereham 1707- 1805
    its on page 56 of 88
    ridgeway

And #5
    West Dereham,​ Norfolk,​ England There is a baptism for a John Capp 26 Oct 1777

Parents Richard and Ann- West Dereham also comes under the Downham Parish/Poor Law Union..so right area..
    as he died aged 66 in 1845 his birth must be coser to 1779

Coromandel

It's always advisable to check burials as well as baptisms. In this case we can rule out one of the John Capp(s), as the West Dereham parish register on FamilySearch has, under the heading 'Births and Burials in 1779'

Buried John of Richard and Ann Capps, March(?) 7

That doesn't prove that the other John Capp baptised at West Dereham is the one who was later in Runcton Holme, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast