Hello,

I have been researching my family history and I have a Mary who married Richard Tomkins. Their daughter Caroline Tomkin married Joseph Cheney 28 March 1842 Puncknowle. I have been unable to find the marriage for Mary and Richard Tomkins. As far as I can tell Caroline was there first born child born in 1822 so I would have expected the marriage to be about 1820 - 1822.

I did get the birth certificates for the last two children of Mary and Richard Tomkins as is was after the start of birth certificates. They both show the mothers maiden name as Foss. In the 1871 and 1881 census Mary states she was born Maiden Newton about 1797. Her husband Richard Tomkins was a mason and educated for he was also Parish Clerk at Puncknowle, but he died young in 1839. Mary died in Swyre on 22 Oct 1887 at the age of 90 according to the parish record and was living with her daughter Susanna Northover who was born in 1829.

I though I found Mary, but could not prove it. Henry Forse (1751 - 1826) married Mary Amey (1765 - unk) 8 May 1797 in West Stafford, Dorset. They had children Henry in Fordington, Dorset (1789), Elizabeth Fordington, Dorset (1800 - 1887) and Susanna Forse Frome Vanchurch, Dorset (1804). Why this was so interesting was because Mary claimed she born Maiden Newton which is next to Frome Vanchurch, but could I not find a baptism for her.

This piece of information was written:

Mary Elizabeth White nee Cheney 1877-1956 in her own handwriting write-: After the Battle of Waterloo Mary Thompkins sic. came to Swyre as a bride. One daughter, Caroline, married Joseph Cheney Puncknoll. 7 children of the marriage Joseph, John, James,Charles, Kesiah, Heste, Harriett. John C married Ann Hansford Puncknoll 1876. Mary Elizabeth, eldest 1877, Harriett, Alice, Frederick George, Edith, Annie, Agnes, Kate Florence, (Mary E misses out Fanny born & died 1896) Mary Elizabeth Married Lionel William White of Charmouth Dorset 1896 4 June. 5 children of the marriage, Frederick Lionel John, Alice Blanche, Harold Claude, Hilda Mary Ethel, Charles George.

Any help if finding out who Mary is would be greatly appreciated.

Trudy