Nick Smith

Red face John Smith of Linstead (Lynsted), Kent

Hi All! This could be a difficult one, I need more info on my 3 x g.grandfather John Smith ( I here you say needles and haystacks), who was born about 1804 and at some point lived and possibly born in Linstead, Kent (also known as Lynsted) between Faversham and Sittingbourne. He was married to Elizabeth - family search gives them as parents of my 2 x g.grandfather also John born 1827 in Linstead. Can anyone help with more info on John and Elizabeth please.

Jan1954

Hello Nick,

First, have you found your John Smith in any census at all? With any luck, he will be found on the 1851 census, which should confirm his place of birth, rather than just the county, which the 1841 census provides.

The Lynsted St. Peter and St. Paul Parish Registers are available here and they cover the years relevant to your ancestors.

However, they are available on a fiche and so, should you decide to order them, you would need to smile sweetly at your main library, family history centre or County Records Office to see if you would be able to use theirs - if you do not have one of your own.

Reputation beyond repute

Family Search is a bit ambivalent about the baptism. There are two entries for John Smith for 2 Dec 1827 - one son of John & Elizabeth, the other son of James & Elizabeth. I would suggest you look at the parish register. As well as confirming the father's name, it should also show their location and father's occupation.