Hello,

I've never had to use the railway records before as I've never found an ancestor employed by them but I have one now and need a bit of help.

I have a William Howick in the 1851 census as a labourer living in railway cottages belonging (I presume) to the London, Brighton and South Coast railway. He's still a labourer when his son is born in 1853 but in 1861 he is at gate 35 (Worthing) living in railway cottages and a railway gatekeeper. The records I have found suggest he was "recommended by the Engineer's Department". I presume this means he was labouring for the Engineer's Department and sought to improve his lot by promotion to gatekeeper? Was this the sort of 'pecking order' in those days. He seems to continue as a railways gatekeeper until 1874 (ish) when he suffers ill-health and dies shortly thereafter. His son, George, then seems to take over - similarly recommended but by the Locomotion Department.

Is this a fairly typical pattern? Any help or information will be useful as I'm intending to write short biography and could do with some details to add to bare facts.

Thanks, in advance.

Audrey