capncook

Red face railway accidents. Death on the track

Hi, I am absolutely stuck with details of the death of my G.G.F. and as he has such an unusual christian name it beats the hell out of me.
    He was NEHEMIAH COOK, born 29 Mar 1839 in NEWPORT PAGNELL. He worked as a platelayer and from my F. I believe he died in an accident on the line to the N. of LONDON. As both my F. & G.F. worked at HORNSEY station N.LONDON. I assume he worked for the same railway company (G.N.R./L.N.E.R. ?) He apparently changed his name to HENRY when he married ELIZABETH WRIGHT in 1869. his last known reference is 1876 when his daughter ALICE MAY was born in FINCHLEY. I cannot find him in the 1881 census but his wife, a WIDOW, & 2 children are shown as staying with wifes sister in NORTHAMPTON.
    Therefore I assume he died in a rail accident between 1875 & 1881.
    As rail records are poor, because of private amalgamations and then British Rail I just don't stand a hope.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. Keep the faith !
    Last edited by capncook; 07-06-2005 at 4:18 PM. Reason: more information

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by capncook
    Hi, I am absolutely stuck with details of the death of NEHEMIAH COOK....He worked as a platelayer and from my F. I believe he died in an accident on the line to the N. of LONDON.......I cannot find him in the 1881 census but his wife, a WIDOW, & 2 children are shown as staying with wifes sister in NORTHAMPTON. Therefore I assume he died in a rail accident between 1863 & 1881.
    If you've considered these, my apologies, but a few throughts are:

1) Have you searched under COOKE as well as COOK? The name may have been mistakenly entered in the GRO index under COCK.

2) Have you tried searching for a will/admon? The index is readily available in many Record Centres/Locals Studies' Libraries. These can be a good way of finding a death.

3) He may not have died, but abandoned his family (sorry, it did happen) and the wife just recorded heself as a widow for the sake of appearance.

4) Have you been able to find him in the 1871 census?

Geoffers

If there was an accident there would have been an inquest and while inquest papers usually don't survive the newspaper reports do. It might be worth checking.
    I would go for the 1871 census first. Oh there is one thing I noticed that I don't understand. If he is on the birth certificate at an address in Battersea why do you think he worked in North London - isn't battersea close to the river? or am I showing my geographical ignorance here.
    Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Philbee

Smile Railway accidents.

Hello Capn Cook,
    Never give up lad. Your namesake kept going and he discovered the greatest country in the world, Australia.
    Philbee

get2BJ

Default Railway Index

Hi Capncook,

There is a 2* report available for a Henry Cook, Guard, GNR, for an incident which occurred in Peterbrough in 1878. These reports outline major and minor accidents involving railwaymen and are graded depending on the length of the report. You can check out the index here:

https://www.lightage.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Good luck,

Brenda

Lillian Davies

Default Unable to reach site

Brenda - This site seems to be unavailable - it sounds a great resource for railway information

capncook

Hi folks

I have at last identified Nehemiahs (HENRY) death. I have to get a coroners report of the inquest yet to be absolutely sure.

Dod 02 feb 1881. Place shown as 27 charlotte court in whitechapel, London. Died of extravasation of blood on the brain. From an accident trauma I should think. He is shown as a carman.

The coroner in east Middlesex was John Humphreys of the Ripper murders fame.

I feel I am nearing the final solution and if I can get a copy of the coroners report, should there be one, I have my line uninterrupted back to pre 1750.

Problem is records on paper only and in London. Too expensive for me to make the trip.

Again keep the faith

Capncook