Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    madmeach

Default WILLIAM THOMPSON - MY BRICK WALL

hi all

my brickwall is growing higher by the search, so i am hoping someone can give me a new avenue to go down on my quest.

william thompson on census and death cert appears to have been born in 1873 (his 1 remaining relative that new him vaguely seems to think he was born 26th december)

I have him on 1911 census

THOMPSON, William Head Married M 38 1873 Printers Handyman Liverpool

THOMPSON, Rose Wife Married F 36 1875 St James London
    married 15 years

a son and daughter born 1897 and 1899 in st giles, london and a further 4 daughters and 1 son born in west ham, essex

in 1901 census he is living in east ham, essex with wife and son/daughter and states he is a printer and born in st giles, london

I have never been able to find a marriage for william thompson and rose caroline louisa foulcer.
    I cannot search back from 1901 because there are so many william thompsons from liverpool and london.
    on the 1901, his in laws are living 2 houses away but they are listed as slade family ???? normal family name on all other census and records.

I have tried to follow each william found up to 1901 but they all seem to join into a muddle and some just disappear.

are there any other resources you know of ?? without the marriage and birth, is it a dead search

I have been at this for years and cant leave it.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello madmeach..

FMP has a marriage for a William Thompson, registered the 2nd quarter of 1896. The possible spouse is Rose Sherman Soden and the marriage is registered at Hampstead, London Vol. 1a page 1352

Perhaps you could look in to that one........

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

Census references would be a help

madmeach

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Census references would be a help
    sorry peter

RG number: RG14
    Piece: 9564
    Reference: RG14PN9564 RG78PN510A RD188 SD6 ED8 SN198

Registration District: West Ham Sub District: North East Ham
    Enumeration District: 8
    Parish: East Ham

Address:
    3 Park Road Upton Park E County: Essex

RG13/1603 district: east ham, essex

many thanks

madmeach

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    Hello madmeach..

FMP has a marriage for a William Thompson, registered the 2nd quarter of 1896. The possible spouse is Rose Sherman Soden and the marriage is registered at Hampstead, London Vol. 1a page 1352

Perhaps you could look in to that one........

Sue
    Thanks sue

I cant think of a reason rose would change her name so drastically - i can trace rose all the way from birth to death and have all her certs.

the record you gave can be traced on the census, so sadly its not my family

Famous for offering help & advice

Okay! I wondered if perhaps she had a brief first marriage, but if you have the certificates then that can't be. I should have read your original posting more clearly.

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Though I can't find a marriage for William, I think I have found him in earlier census.

1891 with his sister and brother-in-law and their two children (RG12/211/35/3) 178 Drury Lane, Bloomsbury
    Henry John McKENLEY (Head) b. 1866 St. Giles London
    Katharine McKENLEY (Wife) b. 1866 Halifax, Yorkshire
    William THOMSON (brother-in-law) b. 1873 Liverpool - Printer's Labourer

In 1901, Henry John and Katharine can be found at (RG13/239/174/23) 15 Little East Street, St. Giles in the Fields & St. George, Bloomsbury. Living with them is Henry's brother Albert, and from there it is quite easy to follow the brothers back.

The only likely marriage I could find for Henry John and Katharine is in the June Q. 1885, Westminster (1a/883) - a Henry McKENZIE and Kate THOMPSON are on the same page. Henry's surname could have been mis-transcribed.

1881 (RG11/131/90/42) 24 Grafton Street, St. Anne Soho
    Emily C THOMPSON (wife) - b. 1842 Halifax, Yorkshire
    Kate THOMPSON (dau) b. 1867 Halifax, Yorkshire
    William THOMPSON (son) b. 1873 Liverpool

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by madmeach View Post
    hi all

my brickwall is growing higher by the search, so i am hoping someone can give me a new avenue to go down on my quest.

william thompson on census and death cert appears to have been born in 1873 (his 1 remaining relative that new him vaguely seems to think he was born 26th december)

I have him on 1911 census

THOMPSON, William Head Married M 38 1873 Printers Handyman Liverpool

THOMPSON, Rose Wife Married F 36 1875 St James London
    married 15 years

a son and daughter born 1897 and 1899 in st giles, london and a further 4 daughters and 1 son born in west ham, essex

in 1901 census he is living in east ham, essex with wife and son/daughter and states he is a printer and born in st giles, london

I have never been able to find a marriage for william thompson and rose caroline louisa foulcer.
    I cannot search back from 1901 because there are so many william thompsons from liverpool and london.
    on the 1901, his in laws are living 2 houses away but they are listed as slade family ???? normal family name on all other census and records.

I have tried to follow each william found up to 1901 but they all seem to join into a muddle and some just disappear.

are there any other resources you know of ?? without the marriage and birth, is it a dead search

I have been at this for years and cant leave it.
    Do you have a copy of any of the childrens birth certs to check Rose surname??

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 2 older children were baptised at St Anns Westminster may be as good a place as any to do a marriage record search
    always the remote chance they they never married...

madmeach

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    Do you have a copy of any of the childrens birth certs to check Rose surname??
    yes i have all the certs all but 1 have foulcer as surname, the other has folcer

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast