Caroline Helliwell 11
    Emma Helliwell 10
    Anthony Helliwell 7
    Charles Whitworth 30

(all born Yorkshire)

Fur Burrs, Halifax, Ovenden
    HO107; 1302; 2/28; 19 copyright TNA

Thomasin

It looks as if Jonathon Helliwell (occupation Comber) married Sarah Potterton on 7th September 1813 after Banns at Halifax (both OTP at Ovenden).

Caroline Helliwell was baptised as Caroline, parents Jonathan and Sarah (wool comber) on 18th January 1829 at Illingworth St Mary - father's abode 'Oven'.
    Last edited by Thomasin; 05-05-2012 at 1:51 PM. Reason: added Caroline

Thomasin

There is no sign of a baptism for a Selina Helliwell in Yorkshire for the right kind of date.

Thomasin

Somewhere I saw a male Jowett with the middle name Helliwell. I thought 'Hmm, that's interesting' but didn't make a note of it. Needless to say, I can't find him now!

Reputation beyond repute

Somewhere I saw a male Jowett with the middle name Helliwell. I thought 'Hmm, that's interesting' but didn't make a note of it. Needless to say, I can't find him now!
    I wish you hadn't said that because this one would really confuse matters...

Marriages Dec 1857
    Jowett George Helliwell Bradford YK. 9b 180

DianaCanada

Selina, the Countess of Huntingdon was an early leader of the Methodist movement. If your Caroline was drawn to Methodism, she may have taken the name Selina in honour of the Countess. I read somewhere that many girls named Selina have a Methodist background Just a thought.

Coromandel

Clutching at straws now . . . perhaps she was known as 'Lina', which can be short for both Selina and Carolina.

BearPear

oh my - lots to consider! Not sure about Methodist as such, but later generations were definitely "chapel people" (as my mum puts it). One lady was married in the Independent Chapel at Denholme where the family later settled, which is just along the road from Halifax. This is a person I know to be one of mine and not the "other" Jowetts which now look to be not related at all, but oddly they were definitely Methodist.

I'm just wondering if there would be any mileage in ordering a certificate or two to tie things down. I shall have a trawl through the details so kindly provided above and consider where to go next.

Thanks,

Clare

Reputation beyond repute

I'm just wondering if there would be any mileage in ordering a certificate or two to tie things down
    Absolutely. This is your direct ancestral line. You should have certificates all the way along the line.

BearPear

I have certificates for James to confirm his parents as Caroline & Samuel - I guess their marriage certificate would be prime candidate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast