Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default MAURICE NEWTON NATHAN -LIZZIE JACOBS

This post is the beginning of a review of the relationships between the Nathan/Levy/Jacobs lines some data on which has been previously posted under "Edward Lawrence Levy-solicitor"; " Turnpike Trust Levy";"Jacobs china and glass dealers.."

In particular, the following post will look at the records relating to Maurice Newton Nathan 1848-1926 who married Lizzie Constance Jacobs. Maurice was to change his surname to NEWTON. Maurice was one of the children of Lawrence Isaac Nathan 1803-1866 and Julia Abraham 1813-
    ( I will fill in dates of birth, marriage, death once they have been verified). Lawrence was the son of Isaac Nathan b abt 1775.
    The Standard ( London) Nov 7 1834 refers to Lawrence Isaac Nathan Sheriff's Officer of Middlesex at 126 Chancery Lane and an earlier article also in The Standard dated Jan 24 1828 also identified Lawrence as a Sheriff's Officer. Earlier postings on the Edward Lawrence Levy lines had identified William Levy and his son Lawrence Levy as Sheriff's Officers Middlesex and unsurprisingly the various families connect through marriage to Nathan and Jacobs and others.
    Doreen Berger in 'The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880' Robert Boyd Publisher 1999 records the marriage of Maurice to Lizzie on 11.8.1875 at Gt Portland St Synagogue. Maurice was living at 19 Charlotte St Bedford Square. Lizzie Constance Jacobs was the 2nd daughter of the late David Jacobs of 38 Upper Bedford Place Russell Square. Lizzie descended from Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses through her father David.
    The probate records show Maurice NEWTON 8 Westbourne Park Road Middlesex who died 23 February 1926 - probate to Clarence Bethune Newton surveyor and Reuben George Edward company director and Montie Phillip Arnold solicitor. Effects £7574. 8s 5d.
    Lizzie Constance Newton probate record shows she was living at 9-13 New Cavendish Street Oxford St Marylebone Middlesex widow who died 19 Nov 1928. Probate to Reuben George Edwards director and Montie Phillip Arnold solicitor -effects £2669 2s 1d.

I will fill submit further data on Nathan/Levy in subsequent posts.
    Phillip

Default LAWRENCE ISAAC NATHAN AND FAMILY

The following post adds data to Lawrence Isaac Nathan and his family including his son Maurice:
    1841 Census HO107 739 7B 64 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 2 Cecil St St. Martins in the Fields
    Lawrence Nathan 36 Sheriff's Officer b in county
    Julia Nathan 25 b in county
    Joseph Nathan 9 mths b in county

1851 Census HO 107 1481 363 11 ( Crown Copyright,TNA)
    2 Cecil St St Martins in the Fields Middlesex
    Lawrence Nathan HM 47 Officer to Sherriff of Middx b Whitechapel
    Julia Nathan wife 36 b Aldgate
    Mary Nathan dau 8 b St Martins in the Fields
    Henry Nathan son 7 b " "
    Elizabeth Nathan dau 5 b " "
    Morris Nathan son 3 b " "
    Leah Nathan dau 3 mths b " "

In the 1851 Census Data base JGSGB on JewishGen the family are recorded with the question over who Lawrence Nathan's parents were. The record suggests the possibility that they were Isaac Nathan and Catherine Solomon- this marriage appears on Synagogue Scribes site GSM 157/42 dated 28 August 1814. However, this appears to be unlikely because Lawrence dob on the census range from 1804-1806. This does not rule out Isaac his father marrying again and confirmation would be required. Currently, no family trees seen on various sites give any indication as to who the mother was of Lawrence.
    More data to follow.
    Phillip

Default LAWRENCE ISAAC NATHAN & MAURICE NEWTON NATHAN

The England and Wales National Probate Calender ( Index of wills and administrations) 1861-1941 records:
    Lawrence Isaac Nathan formerly of Cecil St Strand but late of Gower St Bedford Square Middx died 16 March 1866 King's Road Brighton Sussex - effects to Julia Nathan of 41 Gower St widow and relict the sole executrix - effects under £2000

Julia Nathan late of 107 Alexandra Rd West Hampstead widow died 9 Jan 1891 at same address-effects to Henry Nathan 109 Maida Vale estate agent the son and sole executor

Their son Maurice Newton Nathan Probate -of 8 Westbourne Park Rd Middx died 23 Feb 1926 - probate to Clarence Bethune Newton surveyor; Reuben George Edward company director and Montie Arnold solicitor-effects £7547 8s 5d

Probate- Lizzie Constance Newton 9-13 New Cavendish St Oxford St Marylebone Middx widow died 19 Nov 1928- probate to Reuben George Edwards director;Montie Phillip ASrnold solicitor -effects £2669.2s 1d

In the 1881 Census RG 11 144 82 10 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 43 Gloucester Placve Marylebone
    Maurice Nathan HM 33 Auctioneer b St Martins;Lizzie Nathan wife 28 b Westminster; Reginald Nathan son 4 b St Giles; Archibald Nathan son 2 b St Giles; Edith Nathan dau 11mths b St Giles

By 1891 Maurice was calling himself NEWTON:
    1891 Census RG 125 122 35 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 159 Maida Vale
    Maurice N Newton HM 43 Surveyor b St Martins; Lizzie C Nathan 27 b St James; Edith Nathan dau 10 b Marylebone; Violet Nathan dau 8 b Marylebone;Archibald Nathan son 12 b Marylebone; Clarence Nathan son 3 mths b Marylebone

Phillip

Default ANGEL HENRY JACOBS 1819-1893

This post links Angel Henry Jacobs 1819-1893 son of Henry Jacobs and Elizabeth Myers to Maurice Newton Nathan. The records also fill in missing gaps relating to Angel and his absence from various British Census. The records further confirm that Angel was born in London and not overseas as some family trees suggest:
    Probate-Angel Henry Jacobs late of the National Liberal Club Charing Cross and alte of New York USA who died Brighton 18 Nov 1893. Will proved by Maurice Nathan Newton 159 Maida Vale and Henry Nathan Newton 155 Maida Vale .

USA Tax Assessment Lists 1862-1918 show in 1865 Angel H Jacobs living in New York at 697 B ? ( indeciphrable) with an income of 3724 US dollars.
    The 1881 British Census RG11 140 143 13 ( Crown Copyright,NA) The Langham Hotel Cavendish St Marylebone
    Angel H Jacobs unmarried 61 Income from Dividends b London
    The 1891 Census RG12 215 804 (Crown Copyright,TNA) District National Liberal Club St Martins in the Fields
    Angel H Jacobs 71 single living on own means b Middx London

The Death Index record: Angel Henry Jacobs age 74 Dec 1893 Brighton 2b 172
    Doreen Berger 'The Jewish Victorian: Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880' Pub Robert Boyd 1999 P258 records the death of Angel's mother Elizabeth Jacobs nee Myers 7 Sun St Finsbury 12.10.1877 with thanks for condolences from A H Jacobs and his siblings David H Jacobs;Philip Jacobs;Mrs John Levy sister;Mrs Henry Nerwich sister;Mrs David Jacobs sister

A wide range of data on these and numerous other related families can be found on the Jacobstree website.
    Phillip

RDWard

Phillip
    I think we are able to say that Henry Newton Nathan was a first cousin of Lawrence Levy (the father of Edward Lawrence Levy). Lawrence Levy's brother, Henry Levy, died on the 2nd June 1904 about 11 weeks after his wife Elizabeth. There are probate calendar entries for them both. Henry Levy appointed Henry Nathan Newton as his first executor. According to my late father-in-law, Henry Nathan Newton is described in the will as Henry Levy's first cousin.
    I came across this thread in trying to link Henry Levy's mother, Elizabeth Levy, into the Nathans. The following is a bit complicated but it suggests Elizabeth may originally have been Elizabeth Nathan.

So long as Henry Levy and Henry Nathan Newton were full-blood cousins, I think there are 4 ways this could occur:

1) If Henry Levy's father and Henry Nathan's father were brothers, both Henrys would have been either Levy or Nathan, so this possibility can be ruled out.

2) If Henry Levy's father and Henry Nathan's mother were siblings, then Henry Nathan's mother would have been born a Levy. In fact she was Julia Abrahams. There was a Julia Levy of possibly the right age, but she was Henry Levy's sister who married John Solomon Ellis. This possibility can therefore be ruled out.

3) If Henry Levy's mother and Henry Nathan's father were siblings, then Henry Levy's mother would originally have been Elizabeth Nathan. Elizabeth was born around 1783, and Henry Nathan's father (Lawrence Isaac Nathan) around 1802, an age gap of 19 or 20 years, which is not impossible.

4) If Henry Levy's mother and Henry Nathan's mother (Julia Abrahams) were sisters, then Henry Levy's mother would have been born Elizabeth Abrahams. This is also a possibility, but seems unlikely because Henry Levy's mother was born around 1783, and Henry Nathan's mother around 1816, an age gap of 33 or 34 years.

So possibility 3, that Henry Levy's mother was Elizabeth Nathan, seems the most likely.

Robert

Robert
    I am also trying to work out who precisely was William Levy to help us solve some of the relationships. With regard to Daniel and Henry Levy the sons of Edward Lawrence Levy I spotted a 1910 USA Census return for a Daniel Levy and family in Pennsylvania but noted his parents were born Germany although he had been born in England- his wife was Marian and children Victor,Amelia, Morris ( I did not think he was the son of Daniel so have not put full details- you might want to take a look at the record just to re check).
    Would Daniel and Henry use the Levy surname bearing in mind their prison record and their parents/siblings using Lewis as a surname? By the way, the data on Elizabeth being a Nathan makes sense.
    Phillip

RDWard

Phillip

First, thanks for your opinion that the Elizabeth Nathan data makes sense. It is easy to reason through these things wrongly. One problem is that two of her children, Charles and George, apparently the eldest two, were half-siblings to the others "born to a previous marriage" says one court case. If she was married to someone before William Levy, and perhaps William Levy could have been married previously too, that opens up further possible routes for cousins, but actually it seems more likely that there was no Elizabeth previous marriage knowing as we do the activities at 2 Cavendish Court in the early 1800s, as discussed in the William Lawrence Levy thread. If she was born around 1783/84 and William Levy's son Lawrence Levy (Edward Lawrence Levy's father) born around 1802, then Elizabeth would have had to have been married and widowed very young.

Second, I too spotted the Daniel Levy with parents from Germany record. It could possibly be him, but without further evidence of his parentage I suspect not. I think it equally likely that Edward Lawrence Levy's sons Daniel and Henry used the name Lawrence or Lewis after they went to America. I also spotted a possible Henry but in the end came to the conclusion these two are untraceable until someone crops up who is working backwards from their descendants, assuming they had them.

Third, it seems possible that somewhere in all the court cases and newspaper reports there may be something that explains exactly how the Levys and Nathans were cousins. With this in mind I've started incorporating Nathans into my Ancestry tree to see what it turns up (to do this I have speculatively assumed Elizabeth Nathan/Levy and Lawrence Isaac Nathan are siblings). Incidentally I came across a Henry Joshua Crawcour Barczinsky in there, husband of a granddaughter of Lawrence Isaac Nathan (I believe his mother was a Crawcour and presumably he thus fits into another of your lines; he later used the names Barcinski and Barr). It amused me because it reinforces your point about the multiple inter-relationships between all these families.

Robert

Robert
    Without complicating matters if you look on my posting started 7/05/2011 'Bernard Armiger Barczinsky' you will see reference to Henry Crawcour Barczinsky who married Julia Sophia Goodman and died in 1927. You are quite right about the Crawcour relationship. Have just discovered another name change but this is related to my Jacobs lines. Keeps us on our toes to say the least! Your recent comments regarding the Levy/Levi/Nathan review makes sense. You know that Louisa Crawcour married Isaac Nathan son of Nathaniel Nathan- I posted this data under Louisa Nathan nee Foley
    Phillip

Robert
    As part of my searches into my Jacobs lines it appears that there are Nathan links via marriage to Judah Jacobs alias Jacques Daniel Myers - see my postings on Jacques Daniel Myers/Judah Jacobs.
    I am still working my way through data and will place further information on the various lines but it appears ( subject to confirmation) that the Rose Florence Boss ( probably derived from Boas and other similar name) line descends from Beyfus, Boss,Alexander, Nathan ancestors. The Nathan line relates to Moses Nathan son of Nathan Nathan from Amsterdam. I will try and provide more data.
    Phillip

RDWard

re Angel Henry Jacobs

There is an incredible supreme court summons occupying a whole column in the New York Times in January 1906 about The Farmers Loan and Trust Company, listing substituted trustees under the will of Angel H Jacobs. It seems to list (twice) just about every then living person who was related to him. I can't see the exact date of the issue without an NY Times sub, but if you search for "Reginald Henry Newton" in quotes it has around 6 hits - the one I can see is titled Old Fulton NY Post Cards. There also seem to be other NY Times notices about this.

It looks very useful to anyone with a primary interest in this line. The **uncorrected** OCR comes out as follows:

8UPREME COURT Plaintiff Desired Trial in the County of New York THE FARMERS LOAN AND TRUST COMPANY
    as Substituted Trustees under the Last Will and Testament and Codicil thereto of Angel -H. Jacobs,
    deceased.
    Plaintiff, against PHILIP D; JACOBS, Harriet M. Jacobs. Ethel Lizzie Jacobs, David Ernest Jacobs, now known as Ernest James; Daisy Hilda Jaoobs, Winifred May Jacobs, Cyril Henry Jacobs, Maurice Newton Nathan, now known as Maurice Natulan Newton, and Henry Nathan, now known Henry Nathan Newtfln, individually and as the English ^ecutors and trustees, so called, tinder the last will and testament of Angel H. Jacobs, deceased: Barron Dennett Holroyd, as Trustee In Bankruptcy of David H. Jacobs; Shirley W. Woolmer, Richard Andrew Fawssett; Rachel Levy, Mildred Jane Jacobs,. Individually and as sole executrix under the last will and testament of May Jacobs, deceased: Ruby Flora Jacobs, Edward P. Norwich, Henry Charles Creighton Nerwich, Cecil Louis Nerwich, Reginald Stanley Nei-wlch, Eilth Bertha Nerwich, Mabel Ella Nerwich, Basil Althaua, 'Teresa Annie Althaus, Gladys Louise Althaus, Dorothy PhylUs Althaus, Vivian Ashley Lyons, Percy Ellis Lyons, Adeline Schloesser, Individually and as e.xecutrix under the last will and testament of Henrietta Jaoobs, deceased; Edward Schloesser, husband of Adeline Schloesser ; Jo-seph Sidney Merton, Florence 'Itaud Merton, !Arthur Sidney Merton, Harold Maurice Merton, iLizzie Constance Nathan, (now known as Lizzie Constance Newton; ) Reginald Henry. Newton, Archibald Angel Newton, Clarence Bethune Newton, Edith Constance Newton, Violet Maude Newton, Angelo D. Jacobs, Leah Jacobs, Elizabeth Hilda Barron, Lawrence Henry' Jacobs, now known as Lawrence Hanray; Harry Braham Jacobs, now known ' as Harry Braham Janson; Clara Platnauer, Edward Platnauer, (the name " Edward " being fictitious, the
    true first name of said defendant being unknown to the plaintiff,) husband of Clara Platnauer; Nora Janson, David Henry Janson, Grace Janson, B>Ton Janson, Sara Jacobs, Edith Jacobs, Lizzie Jfacobs, Hae Jacobs, Mary A. Jacobs, (the name " Mary " being fictitious, the true first name of said defendant being unknown to the plaintiff,) Individually and as executrix under the last will and testament of David Henry Jacobs, deceased; Matthew Heriry Hole, as executor of the last will and testament of said David Henry Jacobs, deceased; Bthel Margaret Lafonc Ashburner, as executrix of the last will and testament of Henrietta Jacobs, deceased; The People of the State of New York the unknown heirs at law and next of kin of Angel H. Jacobs, deceased, and all unknown persons having any interest In or lien upon the Interests of the unknown heirs at law and next of kin of Angel H. Jacobs, dfeceased, in and t the property now held by the plaintiff; and al persons who may be the heirs at law, next of kin, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of the persons claiming through any of the above; the unknown heirs ^ law. next of kin, legal representatives, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and Judgment creditors of any and all of the deceased legatees under the last will and testament and the codicil thereto of Angel H. Jacobs, deceased, and unknown persons having any interest in or lien upon the interests of the deceased legatees and devisees under the last will and testament of Angel H. Jacobs, deceased, in and to - the property In the hands of the plaintiff; and all persona who may be the heirs at law, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of or persons claiming through any of the above; the unknown heirs at law, next of kin, legal representatives, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of David H. Jacobs, deceased; May Jacobs, deceased; Henrietta Jacobs, deceased; Angelo M. Jacobs, deceased; Jane E. Nerwich, deceased; Leah Jacobs, deceased; Frederick D. Jacobs, deceased, and Lizzie E. Jacobs, deceased, and unknown persons having any interest in or lien upon the interests of said' last-mentJoned persons In and to the property In the hands of the plaintiff, and all persons who may be the heirs at law, devisees, Iccratees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of the persons claiming through any of the above: the unknown wives,, widows, and husbands of all the above-mentioned unknown parties ; all unknown persona having or claiming
    to have any dower, right of dower, or curtesy in the real property described In the complaint in this action; and all Unknown persona having or claiming to have any right, title. Interest, lien, claim, or demand of any kind, whether In law or In equity, in or upon the personal property In the hands of the plaintiff as trustee and the real property described In the complaint herein, or any part thereof; also each and every other person not specifically named or designated as a defendant who has In any way,
    manner, or form any right. Interest, or claim in or to any of the properties or effects which were of Angel H, Jacobs, now deceased, or In or to the proceeds or avails thereof, whether vested . or contingent, direct or remote, and whether in an Individual or representative capacity; all of the persons above described who are mentioned after the defendant The People of the State of New York, being persons who are unknown to the plaintiff and their names being unknown to the plaintiff; all of the parties hereinabove described as unknown being all persons answering said several descriptions who are not specifically named above. Defendants.
    To the above-named defendants and each of them: You are hereby summoned to answer the complaint In this action and to serve a copy of your answer on the plaintiff's attorneys within twenty days after the service of this summons, exclusive of the day of service, and In case of your'fallure to appear or answer judgment will be taken against you by default for the relief demanded in the complaint. Dated September J.2th, 1905, TURNER. ROLSTON & HORAN, Plaintiff's Attorneys. Office and Post Otflo* address, 22 William Street,- New York, N. T,

To the defendants Philip D. Jacobs, Harriet M. Jacobs, David Ernest Jacobs, now known as Ernest James; Daisy Hilda Jacobs, Winifred May Jacobs, Cyril Henry Jacobs, Maurice Newton Nathan, now known as Maurice Nathan Newton, and Henry Nathan, now knewn as Henry Nathan Newton, Individually and as the English executors and trustees, so called, under the last will and testament of Angel H. Jacobs, deceased; Barron Dennett Holroyd, as Trustee In Bankruptcy of David H. Jacobs; Shirley W Woolmer, Richard Andrew Fawssett, Rachel Le\'>', Mildred Jane Jacobs, indlyldually and a« sole executrix under the last will and testament of May Jacobs, deceased; Ruby Flora Jacobs, Edward P. Nerwich, Henry Charles Creighton Nerwich, Cecil Louis Nerwich, Reginald Stanley Nerwich, Edith Bertha Nerwich, Mabel Ella Nerwich, Basil Althaus, Teresa Annie Althaus, Gladys Louise Althaus, Dorothy
    Phyllis Althaus, Vivian Ashley Lyons, Percy Ellis Lyons, Adeline Schloesser, individually and as exeouirix under the last will and testament of Henrietta Jacobs, deceased; Edward Schloesser, liusband of Adeline Schloesser; Joseph Sidne^ Merton, Florence Maud Merton, Arthur Sidney Merton, Harold Maurice Merton, Lizzie Constance Nathan, (now known as Lizzie Constance Newton; ) Reginald Henry Newton, Archibald Angel Newton, CHarencs Bethune Newton, Edith Constance Newton, Violet Maude Newton, Angelo D. Jacobs, Leah Jacobs, Elizabeth Hilda Barron, Lawrence Henry Jacobs, now known as Lawrence Hanray; Harry Braham Jacobs, now known as Harry Braham Janson; Clara Platnauer, Edward Platnauer, (the name " Edward " being fictitious, the true first name of said defendant being unknown to the plaintiff,) husband of Clara Platnauer; Nora Janson, David" Henry Janson, Grace Janson, Byron Janson, Mary A. Jacobs, (the name " Mary " being fictitious, the true first name of said defendant being unknown
    to the plaintiff,) Individually and as executrix under the last will and testament of David Henry Jacobs, deceased: Matthew Henry
    Hfile, as executor of the last will and testament of said David Henry Jacobs, deceased; Ethel Margaret Lafone Ashburner, as executrix of the last will and testament of Henrietta Jacobs, deceased; the unknown heirs at law and next of kin of Angel H. Jacobs, deceased, and all unknown persons having any Interest In or lien upon the Interests of the unknown heirs at law and next of. kin of Angel H. Jacobs, deceased. In and to the property now held by the plaintiff; and all persons who may be the heirs at law, next of kin, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of the persons claiming through any of the' above:
    the nnknown heirs at law, next of kin, legal representatives, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of any and all of the deceased legatees under the last will and testament and the codicil thereto of Angel H. Jacobs, deceased, and unknown persons having any Interest In or lien upon the Interests of the deceased legatees and devisees under the
    last will and testament of Angel H, Jacobs, deceased. In and to the property In the hands of the plaintiff; and all persons who may be the heirs at law, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of or persona claiming throtigh any of the above; the unknown heirs at law, next of kin legal representatives, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of David H. Jacobs, deceased; May Jacobs, deceased; Henrietta Jacobs, deceased; Angelo M. Jacobs, deceased; Jane E. Nerwich. deceased; Leah Jacobs, deceased; Frederick D. Jacobs, deceased, and Lizzie E. Jacobs, deceased, - and unknown persons having any Interest In or lien upon the Interests of said last-mentioned persons in and to the property in the hands of the plaintiff, and all persons who may be the heirs at law, devisees, legatees, assignees, grantees, and judgment creditors of the persons claiming
    through any of the above; the unknown wives, widows, and husbands of all the above-mentioned unknown parties; all unknown persons having or claiming to have any dower, right of, dower, or ciirtesy In the real property described
    In the complaint In this action; and all unknown persons having or claiming to have any right, title. Interest, lien, claim, or demand of any kind, whether In law or In equity. In or upon the personal property In the hands 6t the plaintiff as trustee and the real property described In the complaint herein, or any part thereof: also each and every oth^r person not specifically named or designated as a defendant who has In any way, manner, or form any right. Interest, or claim In or to any of the properties or effects which were of Angel H. Jacobs, now deceased, er In or to the proceeds or avails thereof, whether vested or contingent, direct or remote, and whether In an individual or representative capacity: all of the persons above described who are mentioned after the defendant The People of the State of New York, being persons who are unknown to the plaintiff and their names being unknown to the plaintiff; all of the parties hereinafter described as unknown being all persons answering said several descriptions
    who Eu-e not specifically .named above. The foregoing summons Is served upon you by publication pursuant to an order of Hon.
    David Leventritt, Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New Tork, dated the 30th day of December, 1805. and filed with the complaint in the office of the Clerk of the County of New York, at the County Court House, Borough of Manhattan, City and State of New York. Dated New Tork, January 3r 1906l.
    TURNER, ROLSTON & HORAN, Attorneys for Plaintiff, . 22 William Street. New York, N. Y.
    Last edited by RDWard; 10-05-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: corrections and get rid of smilies

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast