Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Robert
    I note that Synagogue Scribes GSM 282/37 has the marriage of Laurence Isaac Nathan ( Eliezer) -father Isaac Priv Member to Julia ABRAHAM ( I note there is no 's' in the surname)-father Moshe Priv Member.- married 1832

There is a will extract NA 747 for an Isaac Nathan with wife Mary of 7 Heneage Lane Leadenhall St who died 20 May 1840. He was a cabriolet proprietor. No idea if he is the father of Lawrence/Laurence but his full will can be obtained from the National Archives UK. There are Isaac Nathan marriages on Synagogue Scribes from 1796 including GSM 026/5 20 Jan 1796 Isaac Nathan marriage to Rebecca Abrahams. Do you know anymore about Isaac Nathan who we referred to in early threads as the father of Lawrence/Laurence b abt 1775?
    Phillip

RDWard

Phillip
    Other than the references to the marriages and wills of the various Isaac Nathans, I have nothing further. This is speculation, but one of the 1796 marriages could be a fair bet because Lawrence Isaac Nathan's brother, Mark Taylor, the eldest we know of, was born around 1797.
    Berger gives the father of Mrs. Lawrence I Nathan as Moses Abrahams (with an 's'). Two other children of Moses Abrahams are Eliza Emanuel (wife of Abraham Emanuel) and Samuel Goodman.
    Robert

Robert
    I will put the data from Berger on this post just in case anyone spots a link. The Synagogue Scribes records are taken from the GSM transcripts so I suggest we look for both Moses Abraham and Abrahams. "The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80" transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Pub Robert Boyd
    Berger gives the Death of Samuel Goodman 12.8.1880 at Barbadoes West Indies age 61 2nd son of the late Moses Abrahams, solicitor and brother of Mrs L I Nathan 41 Gower Street Bedford Square. Samuel was for many years confidential clerk in the house of M Cavan and Co Barbadoes. Samuel's sister Eliza Emanuel died 23.3.1872 age 53 at Ballarat Victoria after a long illness wife of Abraham Emanuel Prof of Music-many years resident at Sydney and daughter of the late Moses Abrahams solicitor.
    Very interesting the various legal professions of the Lewis/Levy/Nathan/Abrahams.
    Phillip

Robert
    The Morning Chronicle Sat March 1 1817 has: Birth Sunday morning last at his house in Jewry St Aldgate the Lady of Moses Abraham Esq Solicitor of a son and heir. If this is the same Moses Abrahams solicitor and I suspect it is then it looks as if the Synagogue Scribes record is accurate and that Abraham is the original surname with 's' added later. Do we know why Samuel Abraham (s) changed his surname to Goodman?
    Phillip

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345