Thread: John Connell

Geirgg

Default John Connell

Hi,

I am trying to find out about a John Connell, that was born in Ireland (don't know where). His profession was tailor. He had a daughter named Catherine (or Catharine) Connell whom was born abt 1846 in Ireland also. She married a George McDonald in Liverpool in 1865, at which time her father was dead.

I am a Norwegian living in Sweden trying to help my wife and mother-in-law find out about their English/Scottish ancestry that now looks to be more Irish than anything. I'd be glad for all the help I can get.

Thanks
    Geir

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Geir
    Can I ask how you know John McDonald was born in Ireland?
    ELMA

Geirgg

I presume you mean John Connell:-) I can't be 100% sure that he is born in Ireland, but everything sort of points toward it. His daughter Catherine was born in Ireland abt 1846 (it states so in the 1871 census of Liverpool). She is at that time married to George McDonald who was also born in Ireland. Catherine dies sometime between 1871 and 1881, since George is a widower with three children in the 1881 census.

Thanks
    Geir

janbooth

Have you tried the Irish Genealogy website? For example, there is a baptism of a Catherine CONNELL at St Mary, Haddington Road, Dublin in 1848, father John CONNELL, mother Bridget FARREL - nothing else shown.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

Sorry Geir.
    Yes I meant John Connell
    ELMA

Geirgg

I have tried to search, but I can't find it - I must be doing something wrong. 1848 sounds a bit late, but...? It doesn't happen to say what his occupation is?

Thanks
    Geir

janbooth

Hi Geir,

As I said in my post, no other information is shown. However to access the record: on the Home page click on "Search Church Records" link, then enter the name Catharine CONNELL plus Dublin in the Location box and up come a whole list of baptisms for Catharine CONNELL. You can then further refine your search by clicking on the boxes on the left hand side, e.g. Church of Ireland or Roman Catholic baptisms and the date range if you so desire.

Janet

Geirgg

I feel really stupid now, but I just can't seem to find her! Could you by any chance paste the link in a reply?

Thanks
    Geir

janbooth

The link to the exact record does not seem to work, so try another way. When you put Catharine in forename box, CONNELL in surname box, Dublin in location box, enter 1848 in the year box. That should narrow down the search to 3 names and Catharine with father John is the last one of the three. Link for the home page is (hope this is okay to use, mods., but I am sure you will put me right if not):

https://
    www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

Janet

Geirgg

Got it! How can I get some more information out of this? Is it possible to order something?

Thanks again
    Geir