Colin Rowledge

Default At what age was a person deemed an 'adult'?

At what age was a person in the period of 1810-1830 deemed an adut? 18, 21 or another age?

This may assist me in future research.

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

What's the context?
    A person could come of full age at 21 but would probably have been working since they were 13 and they could marry at about 15 but a working man would most likely marry later in life as he would have had to support his wife. Usually around 25 - 28

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    What's the context?
    A person could come of full age at 21 but would probably have been working since they were 13 and they could marry at about 15 but a working man would most likely marry later in life as he would have had to support his wife. Usually around 25 - 28
    In a baptism as an adult, what was acceptable to the Church? Conformist rather than non-conformist, just in case there were 2 different sets of compliance with the term.

Colin.

bamagirl

Colin,

I don't know how widely this applies, or if it is what you are asking exactly. I have one ancestral line that goes to the Isle of Coll in Scotland. The December 1776 Census is from the Kirk Session records. The persons listed with an * are "underage", meaning that they are not old enough to learn the Catechism - which doesn't give an exact age, but is a downward shift toward 10ish or so. Here's the source page:
    https://www.
    collgenealogy.com/Census.html

The download is an Excel spreadsheet.

On other sites, my ancestor is listed as an adult on this census, but he was baptized in 1767 and was listed age 63 on his death record in 1832.