potter9597

Default Redvers Edgar Philip Potter - Photographs

My dad told me that he was in the army. He said he lied about his age to get in towards the end of WWI went to France, then Northerm Ireland and finally India. I had been unable to track down his army service record and so was unable to establish which or when or where he served. Then I found a site called the wardrobe. I searched on my father's surname and found not 1, not 2 but 3 photographs of him as a member of C Company, 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regiment! Now I know which and part of when (1922-24) and part of where (Bangalore). The pictures confirm his story that he was a champion runner whilst out in India because he was part of the Company team which won the Nines Cup in the 3 years shown above. I am now waiting and hoping that if they have the pictures they may well be able to locate his service record. Don't you just love jigsaw puzzles and finding new pieces to fit in to the overall picture?

Reputation beyond repute

if they have the pictures they may well be able to locate his service record
    Have you read the National Archives advice?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...rafter1913.htm

Because he was a regular soldier after WW1, the following advice applies -

Service records (1920-present)

Visit the Veterans UK website for information about how to request a summary of a service record from the Ministry of Defence. These are not available to members of the general public, but next of kin may request access to them.

potter9597

Peter,

Lots of thanks for the suggestions. I will await the outcome of my request for the research at thewardrobe.org and if that is unsuccessful then I have book marked your suggested page and follow that up.

Regards

Alan

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Wiltshire Regiment had a journal which was published between the wars, so should cover your period. It mentions the results of all sorts of competitions which were held with members of the regiment involved. It also has BMD notices as well. I spotted this in bound format some years ago in the Local Studies Library, but since then, the archives and the library have moved. However, an enquiry to Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre should establish whether they still have copies, or if not, where they are. Probably the Wardrobe has as well. (The Regimental Museum in the cathedral close, Salisbury.) pwholt

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default A dangerous wardrobe?

I just had a look at thewardrobe.org - the page showed a lot of gobbledegook with lots of the word "INFECTED" so I got out of it a bit sharpish!

melsibob

Thw same thing happened to me but I found if I searched the wardrobe.org and then clicked on to the link that came up I was able to get into the site - and itmade sense! No bugs on my computer either.

potter9597

My thanks to everyone who offered advice. I am still awaiting the wardrobe's reply and as it has taken so long I am hopeful of something at least from them.