Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Found two burials

My mum had a brother who died when he was three months old and a sister who died two days before her second birthday. They both died before she was born, and she didn't know where they were buried. Only that the vicar of the local parish church had refused to bury her sister 'because she hadn't been baptised'.

The parish church hadn't been built when her brother died, though there was a 'temporary structure' (supposed to be used for 15 years, but used for 27). As far as I know there are no parish registers for the earlier building, though they may be incorporated in the PRs of the 'mother' church of the original parish before it got split.

A question on another list about earlier burials in the new parish of St Thomas' sent me looking at the (now online) PRs for the old parish of St Nicholas. I found that before the new church was completed and the churchyard opened two years later, people living in St Thomas' were sometimes buried at St Nicks. (The town cemetery was another option, and I'd already checked there for the burials I wanted.)

So after eleven-and-a-half years, with a little bit of serendipity, I have found the burials of mum's baby brother and sister.
    I am one very lucky, very happy, and very contented person.

Pam
    whose only wish would be that she could tell her (now deceased) mum of her find.

Jan1954

Oh Pam - that is great news. It just goes to show that we should never give up, should we?

I am sure that your Mum is looking down and smiling upon you for these finds.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I'll bet these Babes are happy little babes too.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

So very appropriate that you used an angel smilie, Wendy.
    Albert's memorial card says either 'Gone to be an angel' or 'Gone for an angel'. (Can't get to the file at the moment to verify which.)
    Either way, it makes me want to cry.

And yes,Jan, never give up. All it takes is a sentence and for your brain to latch on to that sentence - and bingo!
    Happened when I very first started this FH lark. I'd found someone who I was convinced was my John - birthplace and age 22 were correct and he was the only person found - but his parents were aged 39 and 32. I was idly chatting to someone and we both said at the same time 'look at the original' as I realised that I'd been looking at the transcript of the 1881 census, not an image. Of course, the image said (badly!) 59 and 52, though the 'mother' (as I later found out) was actually a stepmother.

Pam

Famous for offering help & advice

Good news, indeed, Pam! Perhaps some day you can pay the cemetery a visit and leave a flower on behalf of your Mom.

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

Pam
    I cant imagine how it made you feel because I don't know you all and yet it gives me a warm glow. So pleased for you.
    ELMA

Liane Hawes

Pam that's brilliant, as Sue says maybe one day you can visit the graves. Let's hope you continue with your success in other branches.

Liane

LittleSpark

Fantastic news Pam.

Our 'hobby' never ceases to amaze me - you can look and look for something time and time again and then one day hey presto you find what you're looking for.

Well done!

Sheila

Cheryl Jones

Congrats, Pam! I think that she would be very proud of you.....