Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hilda Woodley

Default born in Hull c1805

Hi everyone, hope you can help.
    John Spalding in 1851 and 1861 states born Hull c1805 - can you please tell me where I can find baptisms online - looked at all the major sites and do not find anything for him, and very little for Hull.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Regards
    Hilda

Jan1954

Hello Hilda,

Hull is a big old place - it was back then and it still is today. Have a look at what GENUKI has to say about it. You will see that there are rather a lot of Churches and Parishes to consider.

Did he marry? If so, where? Did he have children? If so, where were they baptised? Any of these perhaps give pointers to where his parish was?

Brick wall demolition expert!

On 1841 census John is recorded as born in county-Lincolnshire, he is living in Waddington as on later census...
    HO107; Piece: 648 Folio: 5; Page: 4-Wrongly transcribed on Anc as Shaldery..
    From 1851 he states brn Hull
    Waddington to Hull is not that far only around 35 mls by my trusty UK distance calculator

There is a baptism in Waddington that fits reallly well

John Spalding-Waddington-April 1806-parents-John and Mary...
    Maybe he lived in Hull as a child and assumed he was born there..or maybe was taken there for baptism..always possible, if family originated from there.
    My G Grandad was born and bred in Manchester but was taken to Chesterfield Derbyshire for baptism as his mother was born there, took me a long time to work it out!

Just a thought...if I get time I will check later to see if any other John Spaldings on census match the Waddington baptism..

Had a look at census can find no other John Spalding brn Waddington abt 1806..as we have no birth registration before 1837, we only have baptism records.. so is very fesible that you could be born in Hull but baptised in Waddington...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I am now going to completely destroy valg's work. Well, most of it.

In 1841 John, wife Eliza, and presumably three of their children, are living in WaddingHAM.
    HO107; Piece: 648 Folio: 5; Page: 4-Wrongly transcribed on Anc as Shaldery.
    Waddingham is indeed not that many miles across the river from Hull.

1851, John, wife Eliza, two of the children from the 1841 census plus another one, are still living in Waddingham.
    HO107/2115 folio 348 page 26
    John says born Hull, Eliza says born Hibaldstow.

Marriage of John Spalding and Eliza Todd in Waddingham, 14 May 1829. https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=510049&iid=198667

Baptism of Eliza Todd, daughter of William and Ann, 2 Feb 1806 in Hibaldstow. https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=763796&iid=384993

1861 John, wife Eliza, still in Waddingham, born Hull and Hibaldstow respectively.
    RG9/2395 folio 40 page 7

Burial of John Spaldin(g), age 64, in Waddingham, 29 Aug 1869. https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=510235&iid=199762

Eliza in 1871, still in Waddingham RG10/3425 folio 9 page 11

Burial of Eliza Spalding, age 75, in Waddingham, 26 Dec 1879. https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=510235&iid=199795

WaddingTON meanwhile is further south, five miles south of Lincoln. And four miles west of Branston and five miles west of Nocton.
    In 1851, there's a John Spalding aged 43/45, born Branston, with wife Elizabeth, and most children born in Leake, living in Leake.
    HO107/2098 folio 424 page 8

In 1861 that John, aged 56, born Nocton, with wife Elizabeth and one son born in Leake, are now living in Frampton.
    RG 9/2331 folio 93 page 8.

By 1871 they've moved to Swineshead, John again saying he was born in Nocton. RG10/3345 folio 17 page 8.

I don't want to clog this reply up with too many irrelevant links, so I'll say that I think this John and Elizabeth were John West Spalding and Elizabeth Key who married in Helpringham 21 July 1835, and that it's this John who is the one who was baptised in Waddington.

(Census in the care of TNA and Crown copyright.)

Pam

Aha now that was relatively easy to sort out, if only I had read what I typed I would have realised that the baptism was Waddington and not Waddingham..

Of course there is always more....

John West Spalding baptised NOCTON Lincs-Sept 1806-parents John and Mary...

So still leaves a John baptised Waddington April 1806-parents John and Mary...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    Aha now that was relatively easy to sort out, if only I had read what I typed I would have realised that the baptism was Waddington and not Waddingham..

Of course there is always more....

John West Spalding baptised NOCTON Lincs-Sept 1806-parents John and Mary...

So still leaves a John baptised Waddington April 1806-parents John and Mary...
    Ah.........
    Now he could be the fella who was living in Potter Hanworth (sometimes written all as one word) in 1841. Married to Ann.
    Caused me a problem as I thought Ann must have died and he then married Elizabeth, except that I couldn't find a marriage after 1841 for a John and Elizabeth.
    The John living in Potter Hanworth in 1841 must be the one who was buried in PH in 1848, aged 42. He'd married Ann West (truly, talk about confusing!) in Harmston 18 July 1826. Ann, the widow, is still living in PH in 1851.

I would very much like to eliminate the John Spalding widower who married Jane Pickering widow in Skellingthorpe in 1832 from my enquiries, but can't seem to get a handle on them. Skellingthorpe is in the same area as Waddington, Nocton, Branston, and Potter Hanworth, so he's another 'potential' for the one-baptised-in-Waddington.
    This forum needs a 'I'm tearing my hair out' smilie.

The only good news is that the John from Hull who married Eliza, seems to be completely apart from all these others, so I would think Hilda should be safe to concentrate on looking in Hull. Certainly can't be any harder than trying to sort out this other lot!

Pam

Very true!

Hilda Woodley

Hi Jan, Valg and Pam, a million thanks for all your research. You have confirmed everything in census and burials for my John Spalding and Eliza Todd of WaddingHAM, at least I know I was not scrambling around in a stranger's tree.

In all census both John and Eliza were exact with their ages John was born 1805 and Eliza 1806 - so they definitely knew the date of their bapts/birth even though John was an Ag.Lab he must have had some education and could keep tract of his exact age (fairly unusual for those times).

John & Eliza named their first child GEORGE and to me that's is very significant because there was a George in each generation down to present day. They also had a William, (that was Eliza's father's name), a Thomas (is this a "grandfather" from Burgh le Marsh), a Mary Ann (Eliza's mother was Ann) so is the Mary from the East Barkwith couple?? and finally two John's one died. I know naming patterns were not as strict in England as in Ireland but they did exist and were stronger the earlier you go back.

There is a bapt in East Barkwith: parents John & Mary 16 Jun 1806 - I do not think this has been mentioned. I am not convinced this is anyway connected but mention it anyway.

There are a number of trees of A..... (I suspect each is a clone of the first, including mine but only for the references for now) which have John (Hull) born 1 October 1806, father Thomas mother Sarah from Burgh le Marsh, his father Thomas mother Sussanna burgh le Marsh (but that's even further way). I asked 2 of the tree owners for proof - no response. BUT I think there may be a generation missing a George bapt 1782 Burgh le Marsh - not sure if I am correct.

In the meantime, based on this exact date I looked at EVERY birth in Hull 1804 to 1806 on A.... and lo and behold found this
    John SIPLIN born 1 Oct 1806, Hull parents William and Elizabeth. Now, is the transcription completely wrong? did someone just latch onto this bapt for easy convenience?? or have others sighted the original and it does read Spalding ?? if anyone can see this original I would be grateful so I can either prove or discount it.

The John West Spalding I think his son George West Spalding went to the US and that tree owner has my John & Eliza, and the Burgh le Marsh lot as the ancestors - talking about swinging in a stranger's tree!!!!

Yes please can we have an "unsmilie" tearing your hair out!!!!

Grateful thanks for all your help so far
    Tons of luv
    Hilda

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda Woodley View Post
    Yes please can we have an "unsmilie" tearing your hair out!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast