Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Default Has anyone seen Frank Hyde BRUTON?

I have a missing person on my family tree who is supposed to have emigrated. Can anyone find a sighting of him for me? It would be much appreciated.

Frank Hyde BRUTON was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire in October 1865. He was the illegitimate first child of my great grandmother Annie BRUTON and George HYDE. I have Frank on the 1871 and 1881 censuses then he disappears. Family legend says he emigrated to Australia. I really just want to check on the accuracy of the family legend. Where did he go after 1881?

In 1871 he was living with his grandparents at 15 Winchester Street, Salisbury , aged 5, a scholar (RG10/1955 f52 p8). A*** has mis-transcribed the whole family as Burton. The grandfather John Bruton was a bricklayer.

In 1881 he was still living with his grandfather, now a widower, at 35 Winchester Street, Salisbury, a bricklayer's labourer aged 15. (RG11/2072 f4 p1) A*** have again mistranscribed him, this time as Mark, not Frank.

There is no British record of a marriage or death for Frank, and I can't see any likely candidates in 1891 or 1901, so it looks as if he did leave the country. Frank's grandfather John Bruton died in June 1890 in Salisbury, when Frank would have been 24. That seems a likely time for an emigration decision to have been made.

A helpful contact in Victoria checked the following for me some years ago, without success
    Vic marriages 1890 - 1913
    Vic deaths 1896 - 1940
    Vic pioneer index (bmd) 1837 - 1888
    Tas bmd pre 1900 NSW marriages 1890 - 1905
    WA bmd 1841 - 1905

Any sighting of Frank Hyde Bruton would be much appreciated.

Barbara

I see there is nobody who has seen Frank Hyde Bruton, although over 70 of you have read the post. I guess you did what I did - checked FreeBMD, checked An****y, checked Ellis Island (although the family story definitely names Australia). No sign of him in any of the obvious records.

What are the possibilities, do you think?
    If he changed his name he is now untraceable. Nothing I can do about that. But if he didn't ....
    Are there Australian passenger records for the 1880s?
    Might he have worked his passage? Would he be in British merchant seamen records?

Any other ideas for tracking him down?

Barbara

v.wells

FMP? Could he be transcribed as Burton?

Hello Barbara
    I really must remember to post when I have done searches but not found anything.
    FMP have over a thousand Brutons in 1891 but no Frank.
    I also looked at NSW BMD's - nothing under Frank BRuton but there are a few Frank Burtons. How to tell if one of them is your Frank?
    There is a Frank Bruton arriving in Sydney from Melbourne in 1907 but no age, he was a passage worker and even if he was your Frank doesn't explain where he has been since 1881. And another from NZ in 1919 but far too young.
    So, yes I did do a few searches and was remiss in not saying so. Sorry I couldn't help.
    Christina

Forgot to add these
    27 Frank Brutons in 1910 US census, only one born England and he was 10 years too young.
    Nothing in 1900 US census
    New York passenger arrivals are too late and wrong age.
    No canada US border crossings.
    These using the name BRuton
    Bah!!!
    Christina

Also used the name frank Hyde but although there are a few shipping records in the right age span there is nothing to distinguish any of them as your Frank.
    Christina

Knowledgeable and helpful

Theres a F. Bruton (adult) travelling from New Zealand to Sydney NSW, arrival date 15 Sept 1885. He may have gone to NZ first. There isnt any other details given for this gentleman.
    Julie

spison

Hi Barbara,

I couldn't find him as Frank or Franci/es Bruton in the NLA Newspapers; Queensland, Victoria or NSW Immigration - nowhere in NSW State records - and not mentioned on any headstones as father (or something) in the Australian Cemetery Index. Goo dluck
    Jane

Default Thanks for looking

Thanks to Christina, blue eyes, spison and vanessa.

Christina - what was a passage worker? Apart from the obvious meaning that it was a worker who travelled, was there a more specific connotation? A travelling agricultural labourer? Or (sorry for the cliche) a sheep shearer?

It wasn't my intention, by the way, to moan about no replies. I just took it that nobody had found him. It's funny how some people just vanish without leaving a record. Of course, if he went by Hyde, or Burton, and was not too careful about his age and place of birth, he would have vanished into the "background noise".

I will just have to keep him on the back burner !

Barbara

Hello Barbara
    I didn't think for a moment you were moaning about no replies but it helps when others confirm that they can't find him either.
    When I saw 'passage worker' I took it to mean that he was working his passage on the ship. A means of getting from one country to another without paying the fare.
    Looks like Frank is enjoying the biggest party with all the other missing rellies of all the frustrated researchers on these forums.
    Christina

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast