Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Railway Records, Information

I have no information really at which Railway my Grandfather worked. All i know is his name was Walter John Mahoney, known as Jack. He died in 1934 aged 48 and he lived at 113 Sheridan Road, Manor Park East Ham London. On his children's birth certificates it states that he was a porter and his death certificate say's he was a C.B Railway goods porter. I don't know what C B means. I know this is probably a pointless question and i'm grasping at straws but would i be able to find out where he worked? I've looked at the new Railway records on Ancestry but i can't place him.
    Any help as alway's, is appreciated.

Jan1954

A couple of things for you to consider:

This book and this Family History Society.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Kitchen View Post
    I don't know what C B means.
    Are you sure it's not G E (for Great Eastern. Manor Park was on the Great Eastern Railway)?

No it's definitly C.B. The Death certificate is printed so there's no mistaking the writing. Unless of course whoever took down the details misheard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    A couple of things for you to consider:

This book and this Family History Society.

Thank you Jan i'm sure it will be a great help.

Reputation beyond repute

The Death certificate is printed
    Sorry but what do you mean by "printed". Is it a GRO copy of the death certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Sorry but what do you mean by "printed". Is it a GRO copy of the death certificate?
    Sorry perhaps i should have said typed. It hasn't been written by hand.And yes it's a GRO copy. I have one or two other certificates like this i.e certificate which is a marriage for someone else for 1899 which has also been typed. It's a copy from 1935.

euryalus

Could it be a "Class B" railway goods porter. Living at East Ham he probably worked on the Great Eastern or London Tilbury & Southend lines, but I don't know how those companies classified their employees - the GWR would have referred to them by their grades, which were numbered (eg "Class 3 Stationmaster"), so I suspect that other companies would have used a similar system (?)

You could be right. Someone else has suggested to me that he could have worked for the Dagenham Dock Railway. These records do not appear to be available on line so it's a trip (when i get the time ) to Kew.
    But thanks for your suggestion i'll also keep that in mind.