KeithR

Default Another confused ex-Brit

Hi there, my name is Keith Rhodes, born in the UK (Leeds), many years ago, and currently reside just outside Ottawa (actually Manotick, but who has ever heard of that place?)
    Winter in Texas was cool and very windy, golf was severely affected, so I took up genealogy to help my wife find her ancestors. Nobody told me that genealogy was addicted, and I am hooked. So far I have traced her ancestors, Whalleys, Marshalls, and mine, Rhodes & Merchants, plus a couple of others - one ex-Whalley lives in BC, with the surname Park, from Kendal, so now I know something about Parks and Andrews families.
    It is fun.
    Things I get frustrated with - people who disappear, streets that disappear and places that change names. I need help from experts on how to resolve these issues, and I have joined this forum in the hope of finding a few new methods of solving them and perhaps learning from other members.
    Thanks for letting me join,
    Keith

Jan1954

Hello Keith and a warm welcome to Brit-Gen

Oh yes, genealogy is rather addictive, isn't it? At least here when you start asking questions and telling us about your ancestors, you will be amongst like-minded folk whose eyes do not glaze over...

Have a good old rummage round and post your queries. Don't forget to have a read of the Terms of Service along the way.

Good luck with your research,

CanadianCousin

Hi Keith,

Just wanted to add my welcome and let you know that someone here has heard of Manotick - I lived in Ottawa for 14 years before moving to Corner Brook 3 years ago.

B-G Forums is definitely a good spot to come to - extremely knowledgeable folks who are also extremely kind and helpful!

Tim

Mary Anne

Welcome, Keith! I also have "heard of" Manotick -- I grew up in Ottawa and after many years living in Alberta, I moved back (who have you ever heard of who does THAT?!). Although winters in Texas sound good ...

I know you'll have loads of fun chasing all those disappearing people here on Brit-Gen. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will help you -- and if you're still not successful well, they will share a steaming cuppa.

Mary Anne

Colin Rowledge

Welcome Keith. Yes I've heard of Manotick. One interesting experience from my 'youf' occured there.

I came from London, Eng. alnost 49 years ago.

I'm prepared to wager $50.00 to a bushel of hay, that you'll have fun on this site. Good luck and good hunting.

Colin

KeithR

No bets accepted, I am already having fun. Thanks to Mike Morris, I now know where my grandfather lived in Salford (I thought it was Rochdale), and when I looked at the map he provided I found out where my grandmother was born - the street was on the same map. Now I am hunting for my Great grandfather George Whalley's home in Turton. The newly wed George and his wife named their house rather romantically Ousel Nest Cottage, ousel being a blackbird. I later found out that the actual street address was a more prosaic 11 Laundry Street, Turton, which I believe is nor part of Bolton. I have found many ancestors addresses on Google arth, but this one has apparently disappeared. Any ideas?