debd

Default Annie May Harris born 1902 in Pencoed

Hello im looking for any information on my Great Grandmother Annie May Harris.She was born 1902 in Pencoed,Nr Bridgend.In 1911 she was living in Penderry.In 1923 she married Edward Vivian Pryce.
    I believe her father was John Griffith Harris born abt 1873 in Swansea.Her mother was called Margart Ann??????????Thanks for your time and ive got my fingers crossed.Thanks Debbie

debd

i Believe but not sure that John Griffith Harris Father was Robert Harris born abt 1848 in Neath Port Talbot Many thanks again DebbieWho Married Ann Prichard??????????

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by debd View Post
    Hello im looking for any information on my Great Grandmother Annie May Harris. She was born 1902 in Pencoed,Nr Bridgend.In 1911 she was living in Penderry....
    I believe her father was John Griffith Harris born abt 1873 in Swansea. Her mother was called Margart Ann
    Hi Debbie

Do you mean this John Griffith HARRIS?

1911: RG14/32729 SN110
    7 Gerald St, Parc Glas, Treboeth Landore, Penderry
    HARRIS, John Griffiths, head, 38, coal miner day man, Swansea Glamorgan
    HARRIS, Margaret Ann, wife, married 16 years, 36, Swansea
    HARRIS, Mildred Nora, dau, 11, Swansea
    HARRIS, Annie May, dau, 9, Swansea
    HARRIS, Muriel, dau, 2, Swansea
    HARRIS, David William, son, 6, Swansea
    REES, David John, adopted, 15, collier door, boy below ground, Swansea

In the 1901 the family are also in Penderry...

1901: Piece: 5068 Folio: 43 Page: 40
    Treboeth Lisbon Terrace, Penderry

You say Annie was born in Pencoed near Bridgend but this is roughly 30 miles from Penderry and purely from the census it looks as if the family were in Penderry from 1901 onwards. So this troubles me somewhat.

Do you have Annie's marriage certificate and what does it say about her father? Also, have you found Annie's birth certificate?

Mutley

Do you have her birth certificate, it will tell you her mother's previous names.
    You can order it from the GRO. Probably the one registered in March 1902 at Swansea 11a/992.

On the 1911 it says the parents were married 16 years.
    There is a marriage registered in March 1896 in Merthyr T. 11a/858 of a John Harris and a Margaret Ann Bateman.
    The marriage certificate will tell you the names of their fathers and the father's occupations.

Sadly, without the certificates the information gleaned will only be guesswork.

Mutley

There is a birth registered in Sept 1899 for a
    Mildred Nora Griffiths at Swansea.
    I cannot see a birth for a Mildred Nora Harris.

debd

Thanks very much for youre time,yes olliecat this is the family.I know Annie was called Mam Mam to her friends as she fostered lots of children,and was living in maesglas in Newport when she died.No i havnt got the birth or marriage cert yet,maybe thats what my next step would be.Many thanks Debbie

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There is a birth registered in Sept 1899 for a
    Mildred Nora Griffiths at Swansea.
    I cannot see a birth for a Mildred Nora Harris.
    Any idea why Mildred might have been registered as Griffiths instead of Harris?
    Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Any idea why Mildred might have been registered as Griffiths instead of Harris?
    Just curious...
    It could just be a mistake if her father John's middle name was GRIFFITHS. My great grandmother was registered as Mary Ann ROBERTS. However, her father's name was Edward ROBERTS-LUFF. The LUFF part of the surname wasn't recorded - and it took me ages to find her birth registration.

Hopefully Debbie will update us when she obtains Annie's birth certificate and then we can investigate further.

Quote Originally Posted by debd View Post
    Hello im looking for any information on my Great Grandmother Annie May Harris.She was born 1902 in Pencoed,Nr Bridgend.
    This still bothers me. If she was born in Pencoed she would have been registered in the Bridgend registration district rather than the Swansea registration district. How certain are you on this?
    The census has her born in Swansea, in which case the birth registration pointed out by Mutley in post #4 looks like a good bet.

debd

Many Thanks to everyone,and thankyou for youre time.Im not sure of anything,only my grandmother (Joan mary Doreen PRYCE)Who recently died told family that her mother was busy working so her Grandmother brought her 1829 up with her brother(Roy H PRYCE)born abt 1929.I have ordered her birth cert a few days ago but have to wait til 22nd may for it.Fingers crossed the GRO can find it.Thanks again Debbie