RobinC

Default Who was Charlotte A. Potts visiting in 1911?

I have found a 1st cousin 4 times removed who was staying at 26 Argyle Road, Ilford during the 1911 census, however she is listed as a visitor and the only other person to appear at that address is a servant named Sarah Gobell.

There is a family at 25 Argyle Road called the Chrystals who have two servants with them.

Could Charlotte be visiting the Chrystals if they owned both houses?

AnnB

Who knows, but if you look at the schudule on the next image you will see that the 'name of head of family' is down as Mrs Maxwell, and that has been crossed out with 'away' written beside it and Miss Potts has been written underneath. So, perhaps Miss Potts was a friend/relative of Mrs Maxwell and was looking after the property for her?

Best wishes
    Ann

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Could Charlotte be visiting the Chrystals if they owned both houses?
    I've had a look and it's difficult to say. In the 1901 census, the Chrystals are still at 25 Argyle Road but a MAXWELL family are living at 26 Argyle Road. The head is a widow called Emeline MAXWELL and in the 1911 census she is visiting a WELLS family in Wandsworth. Whether Emeline was still living at 26 Argyle Road in 1911 but was away while your Charlotte was visiting - well ?

Are there any links you know of between Charlotte and Emeline Maxwell?

Edit: having just seen AnnB's previous post and popped off to view the Address Sheet, it does indeed have Mrs MAXWELL crossed out. I definitely think you should look into the MAXWELL family who were living there in 1901.

RobinC

Thank you both of you, I didn't see the part relating to the Maxwells and didn't think of looking at the 1901 census to see who was living there.

I think the Maxwells are the better link but I am not aware of a link between Charlotte and Emeline as yet.

It has given me something to look into though!

RobinC

I've just looked Charlotte up in the 1901 census where she was living in Mansfield Road, Ilford with her brother's family.

I then looked at Google Earth to see where Mansfield Road is and it is the next street over from Argyle Road so it seems that Emeline and Charlotte were neighbours to an extent and the theory that Charlotte was house sitting in 1911 is probably correct.