Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    knbkms

Default Abraham James (or James Abraham) Cohen birth?

Can anyone find a birth for a Abraham James or James Abraham Cohen/Cowen from about 1854 to 1858 in Greenwich ~ there seems to be a problem with my site and nothing is happening!!!!!

Many thanks

Kim

RobinC

I've looked on Ancestry and Freebmd for all variations of his name as you have given it and cannot find any trace of him.

Have you got his parents names or have you located him on a census?

RobinC

There is an Abraham Cowen living in Greenwich in 1871 with his parents and siblings, his father is from Poland and his mother is from Germany.

Class: RG10; Piece: 757; Folio: 4; Page: 1

Census copright of TNA.

Is this the same person, if so could they have anglicised their surname?

And here they are in 1861:

Class: RG 9; Piece: 398; Folio: 6; Page: 6

Census copright of TNA.

RobinC

Could this be his death registration?

Deaths Jun 1910
    COHEN James Abraham 51 Greenwich 1d 483

RobinC

And finally, there is this birth registration which came up when I used the following information for the search on Freebmd.

Surname - Co*
    First name - Abraham
    Start date: Mar 1856
    End date: Dec 1859
    District: Greenwich

The only issue is that the original says "Cole" as the surname and the middle name is John, not James so unless there was a mistake recording the name, it's unlikely to be your Abraham.

knbkms

Dear Robin, yes this is his death!!!!!! Just cant track his birth ~ just checking out the census details above to see if this is his family, will get back to you

thanks

knbkms

yes robin, this is the family ~ it seems as if the three eldest children Esther, Abraham and Julius are all stated as being born in London City and I cannot find any of these births, the younger children, all born in Greenwich where the family finally settled are more easily traced. London City covers a vast area I think .... what do you suggest? I cannot find a marriage of his parents either ~ Emma Marks and Marcus (Mark ) Cohen ~ any tips please!!!!! And I think Marcus came over in 1854, which would have meant him and Emma meeting and having their first child very quickly ....... help!!!!!

RobinC

There is a family tree on Ancestry which says that Marcus came over from New York on 13th October 1854, there's a Dawid Cowen and a Saloman Cowen on the same trip. Not sure about their link to Marcus.

I'll have a dig about to see if I can find any of the births you're missing.

knbkms

Thank you, much appreciated

RobinC

This could be Esther's birth as it fits with her age on the census from 1871:

Births Dec 1854
    Cohen Esther Whitechapel 1c 303

I've got a strong feeling that this could be your Abraham because of the middle name and it also fits in with the 1871 census:

Births Mar 1857
    Cohen Abraham Marks E London 1c 18

I can't find Julius as he / she is listed as a daughter in 1861 and a son in 1871.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast