Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ianjbennett

Default Jane Bennett (nee Cosnett)

I need to trace my great grandmother Jane Bennett (nee Cosnett) I believe she was born in Pershore Worcestershire in about 1861 and moved to Wombourne, Staffordshire in about 1895 ish, she had a daughter who rumour has it died suspiciously in about 1906 aged approximately 10 years old.
    My great grandmother had died in 1901 3 months after my grandfather was born, and the housekeeper was responsible for the daughters death allegedly.
    Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ian

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by ianjbennett View Post
    I need to trace my great grandmother Jane Bennett (nee Cosnett) I believe she was born in Pershore Worcestershire in about 1861
    This looks like her birth:
    Jane COSNETT, March quarter 1861, Pershore registration district, volume 6c, page 383.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjbennett View Post
    ...she had a daughter who rumour has it died suspiciously in about 1906 aged approximately 10 years old.
    What was the daughter's name, please? Come to think of it, do you know the housekeeper's name at all?

ianjbennett

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    This looks like her birth:
    Jane COSNETT, March quarter 1861, Pershore registration district, volume 6c, page 383.

What was the daughter's name, please? Come to think of it, do you know the housekeeper's name at all?
    The daughters name was Jane or Jannie we are not sure, we do not know the name of the housekeeper but rumour has it she went to jail for the offence, also great granddad John Bennett went to jail for protecting the housekeeper but we can't find evidence,

RonOne

Marriages March quarter 1894
    John BENNETT & Jane COSNETT
    Registration district: Wolverhampton
    Volume: 6b
    Page: 810

Staffordshire BMD gives the marriage venue as: Wombourne, St Benedict

Coromandel

Looking at the free search results in the British Newspaper Archive I can see fragments of a couple of entries that seem to relate:

Gloucester Citizen, 29 March 1904
    '....John Bennett, a labourer, Wombourn Common, and Mary Gould, his housekeeper, were on Monday, Wolverhampton, sentenced to terms of three . . . '

Manchester Courier & Lancashire General Advertiser, 2 April 1904
    ....'John Bennett, [labourer], Wombourn Common, and Mary Gould, [housekeeper] were charged with cruelty to . . . '

You'd have to get some credit with the site to see scans of the pages.

terrysfamily

see here if you don't want to pay

https://
    paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=TS19040604.2.29&l=mi&e=-------10--1----0--

ps. Is that all they got!!!!!! Terrible

Coromandel

Poor little Jane.

RonOne

Probable birth registration for Jane:

Births March quarter 1897
    Jane BENNETT
    District: Wolverhampton
    Volume: 6b
    Page: 567

Staffordshire BMD gives the sub-district as: Wombourne

RonOne

If you haven't used the British Newspaper Archive before, they give you 30 free credits when you register, which should be enough to get the two articles found by Coromandel in post #5 above.

https://www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

ianjbennett

thanks, we have done that and now it seems she didn't die as we had been led to believe we need to find out what happened to her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast