Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Josephine Clark

Name well known on Brit-Gen

June and May
    Besides being months in the calendar year in whoich the girls could have been born, these could be family 'pet' names!!

I have pm'd Hanne with current information I found on the family!

HaSimensen

And another thing, one of my papers says "Josephine Wilkie, otherwise Clark" and not the other way around. I don't know if that makes any difference.

No. I have not looked in Scotland. To be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed just by looking for her in England so I have not come so far to think to look for here in Scotland. I understand the possibiliy is there, and it may look like I have to. I really want to find this family, as it is a blank chapter in family history/family tree. If that means looking i other countries/regions, I'll do that. Just finding it difficult to even know where to start og or finding the right tools.

But in any case, thanks a bunch to those of you taking time to help!

HaSimensen

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Besides being months in the calendar year in whoich the girls could have been born, these could be family 'pet' names!!

I have pm'd Hanne with current information I found on the family!

Can I ask what you put in "pet names" in the UK?

Probably a stupid question, but here in Norway its not very common. Is it random names? Or like in May and Junes case that they are born in these months and thats the reason for the pet names, or is it common to use pet names that are related to ones birth name? Like in Margareth - Maggie, William - Will/Bill, Anthony - Tony etc. etc.

I'm thinking about in May and Junes case, if there is a reasonable guess on what could be their birth names (if May and June is pet names, that is). Often its easier to help my old grandfather remember by mentioning alternatives instead of just asking him to try to remember.

A persdon can be given a birth name / baptism name which is recorded on the official documents, but known to family & friends by a 'nickname / pet name'

Margaret could be Peg / Peggy. My son has a frined named Richard but is known as Reggie!!!

I found this whichmaybe worth consdering

Josephine WLKIE b Oct - Dc 1920 Tynemouth 10b 440 mothers maiden name MYERS

HaSimensen

A persdon can be given a birth name / baptism name which is recorded on the official documents, but known to family & friends by a 'nickname / pet name'

Margaret could be Peg / Peggy. My son has a frined named Richard but is known as Reggie!!!

Ok, so its not always a link between the birth name and pet name, if I understand it correct. A bit confusing. I'm used to name being shortened, like Benjamin known as Ben, and Jonathan known as Jon and so on. But its a little bit more difficult to resonate what May and Junes possible birth names (if May and June are indeed pet names) was, when theres no pattern. This is rarely a problem here, since almost everyone uses and goes by their birth name. I guess its a little "cultural" difference there.

Wilkes_ml

Yes, this is the one I mentioned in post #15 that is only a year out I believe...which is why I questioned the source of the birth date.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    Yes, this is the one I mentioned in post #15 that is only a year out I believe...which is why I questioned the source of the birth date.
    Now this may be one enormous red herring.... When I looked at Tynemouth births Clark, maiden name Myers , there were 4 girls (none May or June) b 1913, 1916, 1920 (Josephine) and 1923 Jun Quarter. When I looked for births Clark maiden name Myers there was one in 1923 Jun Q with the same forename as the Wilkie birth. Could Mrs Wilkie have been widowed and then taken up with a Mr Clark, and the child registered under both names? Josephine then born a Wilkie but brought up as a Clark? The 1923 birth is not May but starts with the same letters. Sadly no June.
    Only a theory and probably wrong!

Another thought. Do you have the birth cert of Josephine's first son? It may not provide any useful information, but may have an address.

HaSimensen

Just a little notice: There is some differencies in my family wether there actually was a sister named June. My mother remembers her, but her cousin (both are Josephines grandchildren) tells me she never heard about a sister named June.

It could be June was another family member? May on the other hand, is known.

HaSimensen

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Now this may be one enormous red herring.... When I looked at Tynemouth births Clark, maiden name Myers , there were 4 girls (none May or June) b 1913, 1916, 1920 (Josephine) and 1923 Jun Quarter. When I looked for births Clark maiden name Myers there was one in 1923 Jun Q with the same forename as the Wilkie birth. Could Mrs Wilkie have been widowed and then taken up with a Mr Clark, and the child registered under both names? Josephine then born a Wilkie but brought up as a Clark? The 1923 birth is not May but starts with the same letters. Sadly no June.
    Only a theory and probably wrong!

Another thought. Do you have the birth cert of Josephine's first son? It may not provide any useful information, but may have an address.
    No, not yet. But we're in the process of getting it. It seems its the easiest way to get a little step further.

But, like with Josephines birth certificate I guess we have to have patience and wait another 4 weeks for it to cross the pond and land in our mailbox.

Getting Joseph's birth certificate will enable you to 'plot' on a map Josephine's whereabouts in the period 1937 - 1941 when Norman was born!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123