Default Getting married in your square rig

When i got married ,it was in a register office at Saltash Cornwall .
    To save cash on a suite [1972] as i never had the need to wear one , being at sea all of the time .The future wife wore a light blue suite ,which could be worn after wards , as long as she didnt put on weight ,years later.

Who else did the same ??

Jim

Barnzzz

I wore a blue skirt and matching jacket which (to save money) could be worn again afterwards. It was size 12.

I am still a size 12, but I can tell you that size 12 these days aint the same as size 12 in those days (1978) !!!!

Husband didn't wear a square rig, but a really horrible suit that was never seen again.

Colin Rowledge

Whem I got married - March 1972 - we were married in Church. Wifey had a gorgeous gown, veil and a white velvet cape. Me - just a plain simple suit but was made-to-measure. Our vehicle was a 1969 Ford Torino 500 2dr. [mine] that my best man festooned with the usual stuff.

Our daughter didn't want a Church wedding but wanted a 'formal do'. Her gown, tiara and accessories were all made for her as were the bridesmaids outfits. Her hubby had a tux as did his best man. The wedding was booked for the August long weekend [2008] in Algonquin Park. Circumstances forced us to bring it forward and change the venue [no, she wasn't 'in the family way']. The stepfather of the groom and I wore regular suits and my dad - aged 89 wore a blazer and flannels.

She married in April 2008 in a Municipal greenhouse, The location was perfect, the weather for early April was bordering on summer-like and their vehicle was a white vintage Rolls-Royce complete with champagne bar.

All in all, despite the fact that we had 7 weeks fron the time we kniw it had to be rearranged, that day was perfect.

Colin

OOP'S
    Last edited by Colin Rowledge; 18-05-2012 at 9:50 PM. Reason: Probably the wrong forum as it is Navy and Marines - oh well - can it be moved and a new title given?

Mr M and I got married in the Register Office by special licence, with only four days notice. I have written the story here I wore my dress (I only had one) Mr M wore his suit (he already had it) My daughter wore a tablecloth around her neck and my boys wore sweaters knitted by Mr M's grandmother.
    My grandfather, who was in the Navy before and during WW1, wore his uniform when he got married in 1916. I know this becaue my Granny told me how handsome he looked. She wore her best skirt and blouse.
    My parents, who married by special licence in 1945 wore the clothes they had. My Dad wore his Demob suit and my Mum wore her "Two-piece costume"
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

I like the postings ,
    My future wife came down to Plymouth to met the ship come home after 12 months out in the far east .{royal navy}
    And told the register that she had been in Plymouth for the last 6 months ,little did they know it was only a couple of weeks .
    And our car was her,s ,ford cortina which we used , and went home to let our parents know we had got married.
    I dout there will be many of you ,who has done that .

jim