Nick Smith

Smile James William Jones - b.1851 m. Martha Fisher

I have a real conundrum. My grt g/mother Martha Jones (nee Fisher) married JW Jones in 1880 in Winchester, he was born in 1851 in Luddenham, nr faversham Kent. I have also found that a JW Jones born in Tuddenham Kent (transcribers mistake I believe as Tuddenham is in Suffolk) was married to Emily Usher. Census 1871 suggests this is correct. I can only find a death/burial for Emily Jones in Faversham in 1884. Did he divorce Emily or was he a bigamist. JW was 29 when he married Martha. Hope someone can help as I'm fairly new to this. I like being a bit of a ferreter but I am being accused of becoming obsessed.

kaysii

In 1881 a James Jones born c 1851 in Luddenham, a cooper is living with Emily in Faversham and his children who are also with him in 1891 when he is married to a Martha. I presume this is Martha Appleton who marries a James William Jones in 1890 in Faversham in Kent so these are probably not related to you if Martha Fisher is your ancestor. kaysii

kaysii

In fact I think the Martha Fisher who married in 1880 in Winchester was married to Thomas Allder. She is listed in 1881 as a wife to a soldier living in Winchester whereas James Jones married Katie Maria Hillier. She is with the surname Jones and living with her parents. kaysii

Census 1881 (RG11 968 120 170)
    James Jones, age 30, Cooper, b. Luddenham Kent + Emily, age 29, b. Preston, Kent + children William 7, Emily 3 and Annie 2

Census 1991 (RG12 714 71 20)
    James, age 40, Cooper, b. Luddenham Kent + Martha, age 32, b. Swindon Wilts + children William 17, Ann 12, Edith and Alice.

Marriage:- JONES - APPLETON On 27 December at Faversham Church, by the Rev L White, MA, James William Jones to Martha Appleton, both of Faversham (Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald Sat 17 Jan 1891)

1881 Census (RG11 970 4 2)
    Martha Appleton, age 22, b. Swindon Wilts

James Jones, originally married to Emily, appears to have re-married a Martha Appleton.

Brick wall demolition expert!

It all fits with this

Deaths Mar 1884
    JONES Emily 32 Faversham 2a 519