Aussie Shep

Default Is there a cemtery in Walton Staffordshire En

I have just found out from a cousin (who was searching in his local records office) that one of our descendants a Richard Massey died on 21 February 1931 at Trent House, Stone,Staffordshire. He was buried on 27 February 1931 in Walton, Staffordshire.

As I do not come from this area I am searching for the cemetery online and the only hit I get is the staffordshire crematorium. Would this be the right place?

I was quite suprised that he found a burial for him, I had assumed that as he died in the workhouse that there would of been no money for a burial. Unless this was a paupers burial? did they record pauper's burials?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Shep View Post
    As I do not come from this area I am searching for the cemetery online and the only hit I get is the staffordshire crematorium. Would this be the right place?
    The 1912 Kelly's Directory for Staffordshire can be seen on the Historical Directories website. In the Stone section it says 'The new cemetery, opened in 1903 . . . is about a mile from the town, and has a mortuary chapel; it is under control of the Urban Council.' There's also an entry for Harry Swindwell, 'caretaker New Cemetery, Stafford road, Walton'.

From its position on old maps it looks as if it is what is now called Stone Cemetery, which is maintained by Stafford Borough Council.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Shep View Post
    I was quite suprised that he found a burial for him, I had assumed that as he died in the workhouse that there would of been no money for a burial. Unless this was a paupers burial? did they record pauper's burials?
    Yes! Many people were buried in 'common graves' rather than in privately purchased plots. There's unlikely to be any memorial, but there should still be a burial register showing who was buried where and when. There's an online form here for contacting Stafford Bereavement Services about burials:

https://www.
    staffordbc.gov.uk/querying-burial/grave-details

Aussie Shep

Coromandel, thank you so much for that information. muchly appreciated.

malcolm99

Stone Cemetery is just over the road from Walton (it's by the roundabout where the A34 and A51 meet). My uncle is buried there but I can't find when it was opened. I suggest you contact Staffordshire Council and ask them: see https://www.
    staffordbc.gov.uk/querying-burial/grave-details

Pipped by Coromandel - sorry, I didn't check that someone had already posted!

There's a photo of the entrance here: https://www.
    yourlocalweb.co.uk/staffordshire/walton-near-stonefield/pictures/
    Last edited by malcolm99; 28-04-2012 at 8:18 AM. Reason: additions

Reputation beyond repute